PDA

View Full Version : Jammed Locking Wheel Nut (Urgent Help Required)

smithsc
Monday 1st June 2009, 11:24
Hi Guys,

I have Mcgard locking wheel nuts on my V70, my front brakes are in desperate need of replacing but i can't get the nut off, I've ordered a new key but the nut is so tight its just bent the key.

I've been a locksmith who use some weird contraption and they couldn't remove it i'm at a loss now as to where to go does anyone have any suggestions

jonno12
Monday 1st June 2009, 11:44
best way is to get an old socket a bit smaller than the nut and hammer it on and do it that way its how i got all mine off or failing that if ya can drill down the middle of it you can get it off that way

richiemat
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:21
Hi Guys,

I have Mcgard locking wheel nuts on my V70, my front brakes are in desperate need of replacing but i can't get the nut off, I've ordered a new key but the nut is so tight its just bent the key.

I've been a locksmith who use some weird contraption and they couldn't remove it i'm at a loss now as to where to go does anyone have any suggestions

have you tried these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_catalogId_10151_storeId_10001_partNumber_6 96823_langId_-1

i bought 2 packs as all four of mine were stuck on took them to the local quik fit and used their airgun to remove them - they worked a treat and didnt mark the wheels and cost £20 for the parts. You cant easily reuse them though as the bolts will probably get stuck in them. I've heard the other route works well too but never tried it. :)

smithsc
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:40
Thanks guys i rang this company http://www.lockingwheelnutremover.co.uk/ luckily there near where i work and they said they will get them off for £10 per wheel, so will give them a go

jonno12
Monday 1st June 2009, 13:30
could be worth asking them how much it is for the kit if ya get the chance mate i would be intrested in one

smithsc
Monday 1st June 2009, 14:16
The kit is £125 with all the bits, if it works i might end purchasing one

jonno12
Monday 1st June 2009, 14:26
sounds like money well spent ill be ringing them in the next week

t5 stealth
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:19
i hav a set,
ur welcome to borrow them,

PaulZX
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:50
have you tried these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_catalogId_10151_storeId_10001_partNumber_6 96823_langId_-1

i bought 2 packs as all four of mine were stuck on took them to the local quik fit and used their airgun to remove them - they worked a treat and didnt mark the wheels and cost £20 for the parts. You cant easily reuse them though as the bolts will probably get stuck in them. I've heard the other route works well too but never tried it. :)
so now thanks to halfords, stealing alloy wheels has become a doddle again...

MrMopp
Monday 1st June 2009, 21:53
so now thanks to halfords, stealing alloy wheels has become a doddle again...

Horses for courses i believe is the saying ;)

t5 stealth
Monday 1st June 2009, 23:16
the offer still stands,if u want it just pm me ur address & il post it to u

smithsc
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 13:30
does it work mate as these nuts are well and truly jammed

t5 stealth
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 19:36
iv used them on quite a few wheel nuts & they havnt failed yet,
best results are with an air gun,never tried by hand,dont think they will do much by hand,pushing it onto the nut as you undo it...
iv worn one set out & hav a new set aswell,i can post you both sets if u wana try.....

uzyg
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 14:56
Would the heat we have had the past few weeks have anything to do with these locking nuts getting jammed? Or is it justy a case of silly tyre fitters getting too trigger happy with their air guns?

I have the exact same problem but need to replace my rear tyres and broke my key trying to get the locking wheel nut off...

I'd like to take you up on that offer t5_stealth if you still have that set available?

t5 stealth
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 19:11
pm me ur address mate,
il send u both sets,
1 old set which is shall we say worn lol,so i dont mind if you buther that lol,& a new set,but u need to push hard on the air gun as you undoo them,
they havnt failed me yet,iv done about 7 or 8 cars with them,...no problem.

uzyg
Thursday 4th June 2009, 11:15
PM sent mate :)

Thanks!