PDA

View Full Version : Back from France

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 09:36
Drove down to the south of France and back last week. Car did very well. On the first day 625 miles in one day. Last year I did the same trip but without the RICA. I'm afraid to say that last time I got an average of 33 mpg and this time only 30. I drove exactly the same roads always at 82mph (130kph). So I think from now on I will take the map off before I go on long trips.

I also discovered that the car is acting funny now when I put the Aircon on. Cars always lose power when you put it on but the car would almost jolt when the AC would do its stuff. Again, doesn't do it without the Map. Weird! Oh well, you live and learn.

On the plus side the USA Spec ipod adapter works fantastically with my iphone!

Cheers
Mark

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 10:16
Here's a pic!

richiemat
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:24
I'm afraid to say that last time I got an average of 33 mpg and this time only 30. I drove exactly the same roads always at 82mph (130kph). So I think from now on I will take the map off before I go on long trips.

thats very interesting. was the load similar this trip to the last?

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:27
thats very interesting. was the load similar this trip to the last?

Exactly the same! Also brand new front tyres and inflated more than usual. Also running on Vpower now instead of last year when on normal 95.

Very strange.

KPB
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:29
Wind resistance? (outside the car, not inside...)

My S60 with the RICA gave slightly better mpg but I think that was due to having to use a lighter throttle in urban environments. On a longer trip - the pre/post-RICA performance seemed very similar.

richiemat
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:30
Exactly the same! Also brand new front tyres and inflated more than usual. Also running on Vpower now instead of last year when on normal 95.

Very strange.

could it be related to the increase in wheel size since last year i wonder?

all you read about v power and rica would suggest better economy and cleaner burning...hmm odd.

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:32
Wind resistance?

Maybe. Wouldn't make that much difference though would it?

(outside the car, not inside...) LOL

Inside more than out probably!!!! All that Rich French Food!

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:35
could it be related to the increase in wheel size since last year i wonder?

all you read about v power and rica would suggest better economy and cleaner burning...hmm odd.

Could be mate. I have heard the fuel makes very little difference mpg wise but is better for the engine. The wheel change might make a difference but the tyres are smaller so it should even out.

Un1Corn
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:57
Could be mate. I have heard the fuel makes very little difference mpg wise but is better for the engine. The wheel change might make a difference but the tyres are smaller so it should even out.

I'm pretty sure it's the wheels, it's not only the size but also the weight, you exchange two inches of rubber with two inches of metal.
I change my wheels summer/winter and always notice a difference.

cornclose
Monday 1st June 2009, 13:02
I'm still up on mpg post RICA. Current long term average is now 28.7, up from the long term average of 27.8 before the RICA.

S70T5Chris
Monday 1st June 2009, 18:29
Are you guys using the in board computer? or actually working it out? In my experience the trip computer gives you a 'rough' guide but isn't that accurate.

TBH i'm not suprised Mark, I think all this 'better economy with a remap' thing is just hype. People believe what they want to believe. Although I worked out my MPG on the way to the Ring last month (and we weren't hangin around by any means!!), and I was getting 33mpg IIRC, which is pretty damn good.

mikouk
Monday 1st June 2009, 18:38
I think all this 'better economy with a remap' thing is just hype

I think you are right. I just can't see how they would get it better than the guys at Volvo. I understand volvo holding back on performance but why economy? And yes I am using the computer and whether its right or not its still 3mpg less unless of course its wrong at varying degrees at different times.

I'm not complaining. I would still rather have the car how it is now compared to how it was, it's just something I will have to get used to doing (taking the map off) I suppose thats where the PPC comes in handy.

On another plus note I bet there isn't another car that costs the same as mine and means you don't feel tired or ache after doing 625 miles straight! Apart from my old V90 of course!

AlanG
Monday 1st June 2009, 18:51
Strange one,before my first 850 I had a 360GLE 2.0 and when using V-power it was thirstier. Now got the re-mapped T5 and being skint use 95. Gained on average 3mpg after the re-map.it's not that Volvo couldn't improve the norm,more that they had to map the car to suit all markets.......emissions,fuel quality and longevity etc. They had to compromise. One map fits all. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to do what HLM etc do......

Un1Corn
Monday 1st June 2009, 19:19
I think you are right. I just can't see how they would get it better than the guys at Volvo. I understand volvo holding back on performance but why economy? And yes I am using the computer and whether its right or not its still 3mpg less unless of course its wrong at varying degrees at different times.

I'm not complaining. I would still rather have the car how it is now compared to how it was, it's just something I will have to get used to doing (taking the map off) I suppose thats where the PPC comes in handy.

On another plus note I bet there isn't another car that costs the same as mine and means you don't feel tired or ache after doing 625 miles straight! Apart from my old V90 of course!

You get better mpg with a tune because you have more torque for a given rpm (or speed). Again I'm pretty sure it's your wheels. My trip computer gives a difference of about .6 liters per 100km between summer (18) and winter (16) wheels.