PDA

View Full Version : Tyre fodder!

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 16:48
Since the re-map my old bus has chewed 2mm from the front tyres in 1k miles. Seems nothing is for nothing,I don't even drive it to it's capability. Front wheel drive and lots of bhp,who said you couldn't put more than 250bhp through the front wheels?:eye-poppi

p fandango
Sunday 31st May 2009, 17:45
who said you couldn't put more than 250bhp through the front wheels?:eye-poppi
think it was SAAB who said that, then went on to produce Aero's & Carlssons with not far off that bhp lol

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 18:49
Mr Saab is a big liar:uglyhamme

Mrsmopp
Sunday 31st May 2009, 19:18
I never really found it a problem and all my T5's were modified - its either the way you drive or the tyres you're using lol!

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 19:21
Not in a big habit of driving hard. Obviously had a righ hoot when it was first re-mapped but settled down to normal sort of stuff. Still have tyres it came with.......Barums. Don't know much about them,soft or hard,they do struggle to get the power on the road in second in the dry though.

Al115
Sunday 31st May 2009, 19:29
What you'll probably find is that sticking some quality tyres on it will help hugely... there are endless threads about this and the winners often seem to be vredsteins ultracs and goodyear eagles. Me, I'm getting on quite well with Avons on the T4, but different car... Eagles were my pref on the T5.

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 19:36
What you'll probably find is that sticking some quality tyres on it will help hugely... there are endless threads about this and the winners often seem to be vredsteins ultracs and goodyear eagles. Me, I'm getting on quite well with Avons on the T4, but different car... Eagles were my pref on the T5.

Nice one. Don't think it'll be too long before I need to do a search on here!

woz
Sunday 31st May 2009, 20:29
dont know if this helps, but my tyre wear dropped drmatically after sorting the front suspension. Eibachs, FSD's and urethane bushes - the whole thing was better planted, grippier when pulling away and teh tyres lasted well over 15k miles, so far. I tghink the mods paid for themself in rubber inside 12 months.
It now takes a real good booting to get the fronts to smoke up - usually about 50-60mph if at all.
Cheers
Woz

AlanG
Sunday 31st May 2009, 20:33
Many thanks Woz. That makes perfect sense. Once my wheelie bin camera business takes off,I'll be takin' your advice:uglyhamme Seriously mate,thanks.

t5 pete
Monday 1st June 2009, 00:23
Many thanks Woz. That makes perfect sense. Once my wheelie bin camera business takes off,I'll be takin' your advice:uglyhamme Seriously mate,thanks.

What wheelie bin camera business??????
I had the same problem when i first got the car but after fitting new fsd and lowering springs with michelin tyres i hardley get any wheel spin it grips like mad

cameron
Monday 1st June 2009, 12:20
I can confirm what Pete has said as i have his old Wheels with the Michelins on them, i have also lowered my car and it does grip very well :D

timbo_1975
Monday 1st June 2009, 13:13
Try easing into it in 1st and 2nd gear, rather than just using the kick down- its the torque that shreds the rubber.

JelT5
Monday 1st June 2009, 13:23
Since the re-map my old bus has chewed 2mm from the front tyres in 1k miles. Seems nothing is for nothing,I don't even drive it to it's capability. Front wheel drive and lots of bhp,who said you couldn't put more than 250bhp through the front wheels?:eye-poppi

I lost 2mm doing (rubbish) burnouts when I last went drag racing- should kill my tyres completely in 2 wks time at the next session :redface:

Going to try Toyo Proxes T1Rs this time just to see what they're like!

I can't recommend Eagles enough Alan- they had 6mm last Oct have done 8500 miles and at least 50 runs+ burnouts on the strip and still got 4mm (ish) to the little warning bump!

AlanG
Monday 1st June 2009, 14:01
Thanks for all your replies chaps.some good advice there. The wheelie bin thing is just me havin' a pop at our councils. Been talk of them fitting cameras inside the bins to monitor what goes in them and to enable them to issue fines if the wrong waste is put in. TRUE!!

p fandango
Monday 1st June 2009, 14:10
I lost 2mm doing (rubbish) burnouts when I last went drag racing- should kill my tyres completely in 2 wks time at the next session :redface:

Going to try Toyo Proxes T1Rs this time just to see what they're like!
Team Vanarchy who i sometimes crew for runs Toyo's on his race van (they sponsor the championship so gets them cheap) & they do seem to be very grippy tyres. He loves his burn-out & they've lasted very well

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7407/t255.jpg