PDA

View Full Version : S60 speaker info

p fandango
Thursday 28th May 2009, 15:24
turned the radio on this morning while i was out on dinner & the drivers door speaker has blown on me (the coils gone), i was never exactly happy with the sound in the first place but now wondering if anyone has got any info to help replace them. I'm only looking at replacing the larger mid-bass speaker in the front doors for now, can anyone tell me what size they are & if they are the normal 4ohm

many thanks Duane

uzyg
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 15:10
An old post I know but just wondering if you got this sorted?

I did look into this myself as my driver’s side speaker seems to be vibrating a little more than it should.

I remember reading/seeing that the volvo speakers are held in place by brackets of some sort that need drilling out! That put me right off so didn’t bother giving it a go.

Did you manage to change yours? As I would like to get this sorted if it isn’t too much hassle with chopping and changing things. My previous experience of loosening car interiors is that they never go back properly and your left with an annoying squeak/rattle/hum/buzz or it doesn’t align and sit as flush as it used to :(

p fandango
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 15:20
no i haven't looked at it yet tbh, i've just found out my passenger side speaker isn't working at all so might get round to it soon

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 15:40
It can be done!

There are very simple speaker adaptors to replace the original units.

These take 6.5" speakers.

The "drilling" is to remove 3 (or 4) pop rivets that hold the original housing onto the door.

You can replace the pop rivets when you install the adaptors! (no damage to the doors!)

The removal & replacement of the door cards is rather easy..

Ebay for the adaptors, they even have socket convertors for the plugs!

uzyg
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 16:01
What size are the main speakers?

Seeing as its just one speaker that seems to be on its way out would it be best to try sourcing an original volvo speaker? I hear they are good quality.

The sound system in my s60 is the HU 803 and I'm happy with it apart from the vibration of that one speaker near my foot.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 16:08
Again, it's about 6.5", but the Volvo ones are not too bad.

Some cracking options in 6.5" components & woofers!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers.html?SID=n2riob0t6a2g8uu9ullecemd80&speaker_size=170

uzyg
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 16:20
I do have some polk momo and infinity components from my previous install. But with them needing to be hooked up with a crossover and have their own seperate tweeters I dont want to start adding, chopping and changing wires.

They would sound great though. Just wish it was as simple as plug and play with some components.

thebadger
Wednesday 22nd July 2009, 16:30
As I said, the adaptors come with plug adaptors.

No chopping!