PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare T5

ben66
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 13:10
Hi all, my 850 T5 experience has been a nightmare so far. Bought the car (from a member on here) seemed to run ok(ish) for 2 days but then stopped. It just won't start, seems to be getting fuel but no spark. The AA have been out but still no joy. Below is a list of parts I've replaced:

Cam Position Sensor
Coil
Ignition Relay

Now i'm stumped. I don't want to spend to much money as I've heard bad stories about repair bills. I'm presuming it wont be an immobilizer problem as it ran for 2 days before no starting.

Any suggestions VERY appreciated. It's a project car but i didn't think i'd be starting from this point....

Ben

timbo_1975
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 13:19
Right, you say you have fuel, but no spark?

If there is fuel *being* injected, then the ECU is aware of the engine spinning over, so you can rule out primary ignition / crank sensor etc. A double check is seeing the rev needle lifting slightly during cranking.

'Scope /5w test lamp the amplifier connection under the coil- on pin2 and earth you should see it being switched by the ecu when its cranking.

If that is ok, then check the coil terminals again with a lamp to prove the amp is switching the coil.

If those are ok, then either the coil is dead, or you are loosing all your HT between coil and plugs- time to get the dizz cap off....

Hope this helps?

Tim..

ben66
Tuesday 2nd June 2009, 19:39
Right then, i've changed the dizzy and all leads, and the coil. I'm getting fuel but still no spark.

Really thinking of getting rid now, the engines had a lot of work done too so i don't realy want to. Too expensive to get a mechanic to have a look, i've had enough. Is there a way the imobilizer could be causing it?

Any comments appreciated.....

ben66
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 12:19
Anyone? It's driving me mad!

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 12:52
where abouts are you ?

ben66
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 12:58
I'm up in Aberdeen.

jonno12
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 13:12
to far from me then or id have given you a hand to find it mate no it might sound daft but i cant think if there is a fuse for the coil in the fuse box

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 3rd June 2009, 14:10
I think this is a good example of don't buy a performance Volvo unless you can afford for things to go wrong (and fix them); Volvos are not the budget option.

Tow it to dealer - give them some chat - ask for a fixed fee to identify / solve the problem - you'd be surprised how some of them are most helpful!

Good luck.