PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Nuts

smithsc
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 12:42
Hi All,

My Mcguard locking wheel nuts have siezed on so am having them professionally removed this week. Obviously i need to replace them what do people recommend Mcguard are good but expensive, do i really need locking wheel nuts.

This is for a P2 V70 T5

Scott

Baj
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 13:21
Yuo dont NEED them but it is a good idea.

All the stories of siezed locking nuts I hear seem to be McGuard. Draw your own conclusions :)

jez.w
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 14:15
I have had the same trouble in the past with siezed wheel locks.

Seeing as most people keep the wheel lock key/socket in the car glovebox, centre console or with the spair wheel i dont see the point of wheel locks as a thief knows where to look for the wheel locking socket/tool if they wanted it. If someone has the balls to nick your wheels they will probably not be put off by wheel locks. There are ways to remove locking wheel nuts very quickly without using the correct removal tool. I have done this on my own car when i couldnt find the locking tool. It took me about a minute to workout what i needed to do, and took about 10 seconds to undo the wheel lock. After this i realised that there is no point putting locks on wheels as they are no deterant to wheel thiefs, if they really wanted to they will break in the car for the tool, or just remove the locks within seconds using a couple of simple hand tools.

Happygilmore78
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 14:50
I keep my locking wheel nut adapter under my seat, along with my satnav, laptop and wallet :)

I will check what make mine are, i got them from a crowd up in a Scotland, and look like they are made of tough stuff - definately not McGuard

jez.w
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 15:12
Dont tell everyone where you keep it!!

v70torslanda
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 21:15
You don't tend to find Volvos on bricks. I haven't replaced mine since I found one missing after some brake work. (I think the garage left it loose but how do you prove it?)

If you've got something rare and desirable - like Nebulas - then get some replacement 'locking' bolts, otherwise fit standard.

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 09:38
I have always had locking wheel nuts, a habit i think? gives you piece of mind, well me anyway.

In all seriousness, i never leave anything in my car except the locking wheelnut. And even that is in an obscure place you would never look.