PDA

View Full Version : V70 d5

logicaluk
Monday 25th May 2009, 19:50
hi guys nice forum you have here sorry to read about the crash its such a shame to lose so much invaluable data.

my mates got an 03 plate V70 D5 & having read loads on here & other places Im hoping you guys can give us your opinions on the best & most cost efficient way to improve this rather impressive car any & all opinions & views please.

turbo to intercooler pipe has split & having seen how much the pipe work expands, replace with this
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6169
& may be make up replacements for the rest to the turbo pipe work as well.

replace the top engine mount probably use OEM

replace front & rear disks & pads at some point he wants the big 4 pot brake kit but hearing reports of £400 - £900 what is a reasonable alternative with out braking the bank?

the strut brace mod with the washers seems worth doing but how much extra road noise is transmitted in to the car? & how is it effected buy a "pollybush" top engine mount?

clean out the turbo pipe work & a stage 0 tune up.

hows that for a start?
Dan

logicaluk
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 17:16
25 views & no posts i guess i posted in the wrong part of the forum, if the mods would like to move it please do.
Dan

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 17:20
First thing is to do is get all the intercooler and vac pipe up to scratch then how about a remap and they totally transform the car.
I havent got a clue about the strut brace mod with washers???????? but any strut brace will be a improvement

Tomcat
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 17:29
I think the later cars have a strut brace as standard but it's got rubber bushes, hence it's not really doing any good for the handling. I have heard of the rubber parts being replaced but I can't say what effect this would have on cabin noise(isn't it tied into the top engine mount?). I can say that replacing the top mount on the earlier cars with a poly item does increase engine noise, but I've never found it intrusive.

Redbrick
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 22:39
Lots to do...

Polybush top engine mount only if you don't do the QBM strut bar conversion. The two don't mix on a D5 IMHO. QBM is well worth it. My combo lasted two days before I sold my Powerflexed top mount on.

Polybush the wishbone bushes, improves straight line wandering.

Brakes: new brackets will see you able to fit 305's if you don't have them already, you probably have 286's. 305's are T5 standard size. Decent pads and new fluid are enough for me and I had the AP kit on my 855R. Partsfor volvos do a 320 (?) upgrade which looks interesting. If you want to go 4 pot 'R' brakes should fit but I think you'd need new rims.

Re-map: Rica or MTE.

Check intercooler isn't split at the bottom and weeping oil.

Someone on another forum is running the B8 Bilsteins and HR spring kit, I'm running B6's and nivos on the back- love it! Still useable as a load lugger.

I've also got a ITG panel filter, new standard turbo and the down pipe has been de-catted when I had the flexi replaced.

Think that will be it on this car, other than fitting my strut brace when it arrives and maybe the IPD ARB's that are raved about ;)

logicaluk
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 22:42
thanks fro the replys guys
the intrecooler hose is top of the todo list. as he has to keep the revs low, hopefully be ordering one in the next couple of days along with all the service items

we have been thinking about a remap but economy is most important so i guess not.

what are the best pads to use with standard disks ? altho the disks need replaceing as well so uprated items may be possable any sugestions? i think the car is on 16 inch wheels but im not sure, ill have to check tomorrow.
Dan

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 22:54
we have been thinking about a remap but economy is most important so i guess not.

All depends on how you drive the car i know on petrols the rica has improved most if not all of them

Redbrick
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 23:28

Not necessarily, depends how you drive.

what are the best pads to use with standard disks ? altho the disks need replaceing as well so uprated items may be possable any sugestions? i think the car is on 16 inch wheels but im not sure, ill have to check tomorrow.
Dan

I've always got on with standard vanilla Brembo discs from GSF. Standard Volvo pads are supposed to be quite good- I use Ferodo DS2500 but they are expensive. 'Rufe' is the best place to get Volvo parts cheap- send him a PM.

logicaluk
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 00:02
yep spoke to rufe this afternoon but their network was down & has a back log to get thro before mine but hope to hear from him tomorrow,

ive had a look on gsf web shop & cant find the brembo disks, ill have to phone them tomorrow.

is the bracket all i need to switch to 305mm disks? life cant be that easy so i guess the brackets are a pain to find.

Dan

Redbrick
Wednesday 27th May 2009, 10:32
Just searched and the old topic has been lost.

Brembo are one of GSF's standard discs- nothing special. All I needed was the brackets, as my calipers shared the same part number as what is on the T5's- you'd need to check yours are the same. Rufe can do all of this for you but his caliper brackets are exchange, ring round some Volvo breakers- plenty on here. Got mine off Ebay from S W Autos.

Volvo discs from Rufe probably won't be that expensive and are highly rated.