PDA

View Full Version : Now's the time for tyres.......

misterpeck
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:33
1 week after visiting VT all is well with the new Turbo and Shocks......... but now is the time for some new rubber.

Yesterday afternoon went to go shopping and hey presto a nail in front nearside tyre :wtf: anyway thought I'd share with you the price quoted for all 4. Pirelli P Zero Nero 215/45/17 £380 fitted, balanced and new valves....

Good deal or bad deal?

Let me know please.

Or any other tyre sugestions.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:37
Vreddi's or continentals would be my personal choice of tyre.

x

misterpeck
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:41
Vreddi's or continentals would be my personal choice of tyre.

x

And why would that be Moppy?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:45
Super grippy for all that grunt you now have with your new turbo!

I've had conti's on mine at every tyre change and they have performed brilliantly - they last me around 10-15k.

The Vreddi's are superb in the wet, they come highly recommended by those that have had them.

x

misterpeck
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:51
Thanks very much will bear in mind before ordering.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 11:19
My Vredestein Ultracs (215/45/R17) cost me £90 a corner, last October and have done 10K and have ~3mm left. Excellent tyres in all conditions and offer good rim protection.

I have also heard good things of the Kumhos (spelling?) now OEM for Porkers.

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 11:49
Interesting...

Have any of you recommending other tyres tried P Zero's on the 850's too? I've done a fair few miles on P Zero's, some harsh cornering in wet and dry, and found them to be excellent (albeit on a different car) - very grippy, and lasted for quite a while in comparison to some other tyres too. Not being argumentative, but no one's actually said "these are better than P Zero's", so just wondering whether that's the case or not...

My personal choice will probably be ZZ3's again, as I was happy with them on the Rover, but again, if anyone's tried them in order to make a comparison, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 11:52
I have never used P Zero's on mine so I cannot make a direct comparison all i can do is offer my opinion on the tyres that I have used hence the bigging up of the Vreddi's and Conti's. I have no doubts that the P Zero is a good tyre as many use them.

x

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 11:56
No problem, cheers Moppy :remybussi

Dave - how about you mate? Any experience with either P Zeros or ZZ3's?

Justin
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 12:03
I had 4 p-zero's on my S70, a very good tyre but i found they didnt last that long. However cornering and grip was superb, the rosso version is a harder compound and with the same characteristics as the zero, rated very well on a C70 T5 that i knew of. However, for an all purpouse tyre i would go with the vreidestiens, simply because the grip in the dry is astonishing and in the wet even better, although again i found the compound soft, but it may be my driving style as nothing seems to last with 300 ponies through it. I have just gone for 4x Falken ZE512's, £50 a corner balanced and fitted, ill see how they last. But its double that for a Pirelli or vreddy :(

Its personal choice, i had Avons on my BMW years ago, ZZ3 they were and found it had little grip in the wet and not too clever in the dry either. Kumhos are awesome, they were on my last 850 and have superb grip, oem on porkers, TVR etc this year, but sadly the rim protection isnt that good, I need to find a happy medium between the listed needs, and price, the quest continues for me :)

swordy21
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 12:12
I've got ZZ3's on my T5, at the reccommendation of my local tyre guy over Goodyear Eagle F1's, more for longevity than anything else. They seem to perform quite well, (I was looking at Vreddi's but he would have to order them in and my previous P6000's were absolutely bald), cost not too bad either £50 + vat fitted each. Now done 4K and 21 runs on a drag strip with very little wear.

Personally I wouldn't go back to P6000 or P7000's they just don't seem to last for me, a set of P7000's only lasted 10K on my last Nissan Primera 2.2 diesel. Can't comment on P zeros though.

Mrs Sword has Pirelli Euforia Run Flats on her Mini Cooper S, they don't seem to wear much, but are horribly expensive

mulletboy2
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 12:28
Cheers for that Justin :) I may give the Vredesteins or Kumhos a go then

nikgallagher
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 12:30
One thing I noticed when changing from P-Zeros to Eagle F1's was the noise. The P-Zeros were noticably quieter - probably something to do with the very different tread patterns I s'pose.

lance
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 12:54
Bf Goodridge at £60 each arent to bad!

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 14:23
I have had Conti contact sports, Eagle F1s and now i have ready to fit Michellin Pilot sports.
The former 2 were very impressive,But you normally get what you pay for,
I wouldn't put cheap tyres on the front of my car i value it too much.

Andrew
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 14:44
I have P-Zeros all around and I find them very poor on the front when I plant my foot they just spin. Now I'm not sure if this is a ABS problem (no lights etc) or just too much power (RICA) going through the front wheels.

Mine are about due and I'm considering v.ready jobbies.

Andrew.

Goof
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 14:47
Khumos here (std 850 alloys) - no complaints, seem to be a good all-rounder.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 16:27
I have only ever had Vreddy's as I only got the 17s last October. Before that I was on 16" comets and running P6000s which are hard wearing but not that good grip wise.

Don't forget that the state of the front shocks has a big input too.

After_Shock
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 16:36
All the police cars we get in at work have the P-Zero's but no experience myself.

Personally I always used the Yokohama AVS sports, everyones opinion will be different though!

misterpeck
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 18:34
Thanks very much every one for your valued input.

This leaves me with a lot of fat to chew over in the next couple of days.

Will let you know which way i jump soon.

Many thanks once again.

dicky b t5
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 20:15
Just had 4 205/50/16 kumhos fitted 3 weeks ago , Replacing 4 worn
Contis ,grip in the wet or dry is superb.! No shoulder roll ,highly recomended ,
All 4 fitted & balanced for £230..! But £380 for bigger , lower profile & branded name sounds good.. Only got to know about the Kumhos through the forum..?

oliwally
Sunday 29th May 2005, 16:51
Not had my car long enough to comment,but i found the Dunlop Sport 9000 that are fitted on the front really good,wont spin when going for it off the line-even with tracs off.
Nice feel on the front and very little noise.
Unlike the avons on the rear.

Best bit is they cost me just over £78+VAT each.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 29th May 2005, 23:16
All the police cars we get in at work have the P-Zero's but no experience myself.

Personally I always used the Yokohama AVS sports, everyones opinion will be different though!
I was under the impression all forces used Goodyear as part of a National Home office contract.

misterpeck
Monday 30th May 2005, 09:54
Plumped for the Pirelli P Zero Nero's in the end, asked about the Verdi Ultracts but would have had to order them special and would have cost £5 more than the P Zeros and have to wait another week.

Very pleased with them no complaints so far. Found out this mornigs v good in the wet aswell.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions