PDA

View Full Version : 850 r stalling contaminated oil

Whiters
Thursday 21st May 2009, 16:25
I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice.I have an 850 R auto that is stalling constantly until the engine is warm, plus i have just checked the dipstick and it has white gunk on it but temp is fine.

Yosser
Thursday 21st May 2009, 16:58
Sorry, I don't have any inspiration about why it's stalling - but the white stuff on the dipstick is not uncommon so is probably totally unrelated.

Because of the dipstick tube sticking out of the front in the air flow it causes condensation within - hence the white stuff.

As long as the header tank and filler cap look ok I'd relax on that front.

Tomcat
Thursday 21st May 2009, 21:41
Do you have any warning lights on the dash?, it could be a faulty temp sender, perhaps the car does not know when it's cold and therefore doesn't alter the fueling to compensate, hence it stalls all the time. This is only a guess though, better to get the fault codes read first before you start spending on new parts.

Whiters
Friday 22nd May 2009, 11:16
Hi, yes i have the fault in the engine electronic system light on, when it was plugged in there were no codes found, but im not sure if it was tested with the engine cold or not.Have already replaced dis cap, rotar arm and idle control valve.

Tomcat
Friday 22nd May 2009, 12:17
If the engine management light is on the there's defo a fault there, other wise the light wouldn't be on.Who did you get to read the codes for you?.

jez.w
Friday 22nd May 2009, 12:20
Dont be too worried about the gunk in the oil, as long as the coolant is not contaminated and you are not losing oil or water.

A few days after i bought my t5 i noticed via the dip stick that there was some white milky gunk in the oil, but the coolant was not contaminated. It was ok when i viewed the car, alarm bells rang. I was immediately worried that the head gasket was on the way out. I was told by a friend that this is common on the t5 if you do alot of short trips and the engine doesnt get up to temp, condensation builds up in the oil and cause water to form.
So I flushed it with some proper stuff and did an oil change and it has never happened since (30K on).

Try an engine flush and oil change for the gunk problem, especially if you have been doing a lot of short trips, also check the breather pipes. Not sure about the stalling as that could be lots of things.

AlanG
Saturday 23rd May 2009, 23:49
Do you have any warning lights on the dash?, it could be a faulty temp sender, perhaps the car does not know when it's cold and therefore doesn't alter the fueling to compensate, hence it stalls all the time. This is only a guess though, better to get the fault codes read first before you start spending on new parts.

Agreed. Sounds like a signalling fault to the ecu.

Whiters
Saturday 20th June 2009, 13:10
Thanks for your advice chaps, just to let you know and for anyone else with the same issue it turned out to be the air flow meter.Volvo quoted around the £200 mark but good old ebay meant that i was all sorted for the the very resonable sum of £45.

5seaterT5x2
Saturday 20th June 2009, 13:38
I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice.I have an 850 R auto that is stalling constantly until the engine is warm, plus i have just checked the dipstick and it has white gunk on it but temp is fine.

as has been said the white gunge on dipstick is not uncommon it's to do with the position of the dipstick in the airflow etc

Tomcat
Saturday 20th June 2009, 14:09
Could also have a blocked breather, with the engine running pull out the dipstick, if there's smoke coming out of it then the breather system needs replacing, it's a common fault.