PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy cap.

siamblue
Tuesday 24th May 2005, 20:18
The car has lately had a slight rumble at idle and i knew something was amiss,
So today decided to take the dizzy cap off and check the rotor arm too,
What i saw was a lot of build up on the cap black carbon,Which scratches off with my nail.
Is it ok for me to get some wet and dry and remove the carbon or should i just buy a new cap, The cap arm and leads look fairly new.

Gary

Tomcat
Tuesday 24th May 2005, 23:03
I'd just buy a new cap if it where mine, any dirt or scratches can increase the chance of arcing inside the cap and a miss fire.

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 00:29
Thanks Tom,That's what Haynes said too but we all know they get it wrong :slap:
A cap and rotor arm is only £15 from ECP.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 00:34
Just replace them. They are easy to do. Air box out of the way. 3 bolts on the cap.
Remove the centre coil lead. Swap each lead one at a time to ensure you retain the firing order. The rotor is held on with 3 hex screws, under a round black insulator which slips off. You can't put it on the wrong way as it only goes on one way. If you see divets in the copper of the old arm - it's done it's time. Same with the contacts inside the cap. Over time they get pitted and furry.

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 00:37
Thanks Dave, I will do a compression test tomorrow too and probably change the plugs back to coppers.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 00:41
NGK BKR7EVX - all the plug you will ever need. About £25 for a set of 5

swordy21
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 10:18
I changed my dizzy cap, rotor arm (Bremi from ECP), Halfrauds leads and the NGK BKR7EVX plugs. Took about 30 mins all in (plus 5 mins to swap 2 leads back over coz I got them crossed). Made a huge difference to the car, tick over smooth as silk, no missfires at all, starts 1st time every time.

Very good value overall, (mind you leads a tad pricey)

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 14:30
Just got back from a trip out to ECP, Managed to get a dizzy cap and rotor arm for £18.51 inc,
Then went off to Barkingside Volvo they are bloody useless as hell,
Went in to order 3 parts all have to be ordered in, So i said why they are parts that wear out,
His replay "We don;t keep older car parts in stock anymore they all have to be ordered in and because it is special order you can't use your VOC discount card " :wtf: Tossers the lot of em!!

Rant over...

swordy21
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 14:48
Just got back from a trip out to ECP, Managed to get a dizzy cap and rotor arm for £18.51 inc,
Then went off to Barkingside Volvo they are bloody useless as hell,
Went in to order 3 parts all have to be ordered in, So i said why they are parts that wear out,
His replay "We don;t keep older car parts in stock anymore they all have to be ordered in and because it is special order you can't use your VOC discount card " :wtf: Tossers the lot of em!!

Rant over...

Now that's just :pants:

What parts were you looking for?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 16:07
If you're after plugs give VT a ring - they always have them on the shelf. And they also have the iridium version if you'd prefer

siamblue
Wednesday 25th May 2005, 20:17
It was a O ring, A relay and a top mount.
Got to go back tomorrow and pick the parts up.

Gary.

siamblue
Friday 27th May 2005, 12:47
Decided oday to go and fit the Rotor arm cap and new plugs,I am wanting to do a compression test now as well,Anyone know any figures in PSI for the T5 engines?Mine is on 144k so should be interesting as she doesn't smoke at all.

Gary

Justin
Friday 27th May 2005, 13:01
About 14psi if i remember right, but dont hold me to that its been a while.

volvotuning
Friday 27th May 2005, 13:13
Decided oday to go and fit the Rotor arm cap and new plugs,I am wanting to do a compression test now as well,Anyone know any figures in PSI for the T5 engines?Mine is on 144k so should be interesting as she doesn't smoke at all.

Gary

Min 160 psi on all cylinders. I'd say Justin has remembered wrong!

Adam.

Justin
Friday 27th May 2005, 13:24
Oooops, that was supposed to be 140psi, my bad :slap:

siamblue
Friday 27th May 2005, 16:09
Back in now,Bloody hot outside here in London,
Anyone that wants to do a compression test here is how to do it,
Warm the car up to operating temp, Turn the engine off and remove the spark plug cover 6 bolts star shape,
Then take the ecu fuse out,This will stop the fuel from being pumped through and damaging the cat.
Remove all of the plugs leads and spark plugs,
Then hold the throttle wide open and get someone to crank the car over for 2 cycles.
My car has now done 144k and is ex plod, I have just completed a O Service on her too,
I checked the compression from left to right as you look towards the back of the engine,and not in firing order.
Number 1 pot 11.58 bar 168 psi,
" 2 pot 11.11 bar 162 psi,
" 3 " 11.72 bar 170 psi,
" 4 " 11.11 bar 162 psi,
" 5 " 12.06 bar 175 psi,
Not bad at all.