PDA

View Full Version : ATF Fluid

Davew
Thursday 14th May 2009, 19:55
Hi

I am thinking of flushing my gearbox, and would like some advice on which fluid to buy,

I have an S80 T6 2002 with the 4 speed geartronic. 4T65EV-GT

The book says dexron 111.

What I am not sure about is there are differnt grades of dexron 111 for example:

ATF Q3-GM Dexron III @£14.50 for 4.55 litres

or:

COMMA Dexron III AQ3 Auto Transmission Fluid 5L £17.50

I have also seen Castrol tq stuff which is really expensive,

Is there any real difference? or does it have to be an exact specification dexron 111.

Thanks in advance

cornclose
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:07
Which book says dexron 111 ?

Davew
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:21
volvo_s80_owners_manual_2002.pdf

and Vadis by inputting my chassis number

Only ATF fluid Dexron III (with G-license).
Gearbox oil, Volvo P/N 116 1521-8 (1 litre container), 116 1621-6 (4 litre container).

t5owner
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:27
volvo_s80_owners_manual_2002.pdf

and Vadis by inputting my chassis number

Only ATF fluid Dexron III (with G-license).
Gearbox oil, Volvo P/N 116 1521-8 (1 litre container), 116 1621-6 (4 litre container).

If you go for the volvo stuff it`s not cheap mate

I`ve just done a flush and change on a P2 2.4 aw55/51 box and that stuff cost £55 sovs for 4 litres and we used 12 litres

Cheers

stuart

Davew
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:32
Yeah I agree thats what I was trying to avoid.

But not 100% sure what to get if its not bought from volvo.

I dont mind buying quality stuff, probably expecting to pay between 70 - 100 quid,

Certainly dont want to pay volvo prices, so was trying to see if anyone could reccomend a good fluid, that wont compromise the gbox and value for money.

cornclose
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:33
pfv do it now too :-

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6187

5seaterT5x2
Friday 15th May 2009, 13:48
personally i would not use comma, i personally have had no problems guess thats cos i dont use it ;-) but friends in the trade say it's is one to avoid.
just one small point i know the good stuff is silly money but NOT as silly as paying to get the box rebuilt should the worst happen, and i know i was the owner of a shot auto box a year or so back still smarts now when i think about it. all i can say is get the very very best you can. i bought 5 litres dexron 3 cant remember the make but it was'nt comma from braydons it were'nt cheap but nothing to outrageous as i remember, box still ok at moment anyway ;-D shhhhhhhhhhhh

Davew
Friday 15th May 2009, 15:06
Thanks,

I would like to put the best in there.

I am just looking to see if there is something as good as Volvo stuff without paying there silly prices.

Its pretty certain the Volvo dont make thier own oil, they just rebrand it.

So who does make the oil for them and can I get it without paying the volvo mark up.

For example, I know if I used 3309 I could get it from Vauxhall for a lot less than Volvo charge even though its the same oil.

Surely there must be a good oil out there, thats just as good as the volvo stuff without paying £55 for 4 litres.

cornclose
Friday 15th May 2009, 15:16
Mobil make JWS3309 as far as I know;

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Not sure of a UK supplier though, but there must be one somewhere...

EDIT: It says on the mobil UK website that most car stores and garages stock their products, although I've never seen anything like this ATF on the shelf...

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English/LCW/C_U.asp

Davew
Friday 15th May 2009, 15:20
Sorry, I may have confused the issue by giving an example.

I need dexron 111.

5seaterT5x2
Friday 15th May 2009, 17:22
Hi

I am thinking of flushing my gearbox, and would like some advice on which fluid to buy,

I have an S80 T6 2002 with the 4 speed geartronic. 4T65EV-GT

The book says dexron 111.

What I am not sure about is there are differnt grades of dexron 111 for example:

ATF Q3-GM Dexron III @£14.50 for 4.55 litres

or:

COMMA Dexron III AQ3 Auto Transmission Fluid 5L £17.50

I have also seen Castrol tq stuff which is really expensive,

Is there any real difference? or does it have to be an exact specification dexron 111.

Thanks in advance

this is the one i used last in my 95 t5 auto gle last time out got it from braydons volvo in clapton london e5 done quite a few thousand including pulling caravan 3/400 miles hope this helps

minkymoo
Sunday 17th May 2009, 10:50
To be totally honest, as far as the oil market goes, as long as your not putting mums best buy oil in it doesn't really matter, all the oils have to meet sae specifications before they are sold so the brand doesn't matter, if dextron three is what you are after then any oil yhat meets that sae spec is good, though dextron three is now an obsolete grade, dextron four is it,s replacement and exceeds the criteria set for dextron three. don't buy from any dealer they are just ripping you off!!!!

Volvo Family
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 18:27
I don't think the old 4 speed box needs the pricey JWS3309 oil - as your seem to have confirmed it's just bog standard Dexron III, so from that point of view you're lucky. It's only the 5 speed AW boxes that need the 3309 spec.

Is the Castrol synthetic to explain the price?

v70torslanda
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 21:50
Just to echo what has been said above. Use any transmission fluid which is D-III or higher.

Comma oils are Esso in the main, Castrol manufacture and blend their own as do Valvoline and Fuchs.

Do bear in mind that if it goes bang then there is only you left holding the bill! If you can buy D-III in a recognisable brand you are happy with at an affordable price then dive in.

IF YOU ARE UNSURE AT ALL THEN ERR ON THE SIDE OF EXPENSIVE AND USE THE VOLVO FLUID.

Davew
Thursday 21st May 2009, 12:23
Cheers Guys for all the advice,

However after looking at all my options I have decided to get it done by someone else.

R T will be doing next month, so I know it will be done right.

(I didnt want to take any chances)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

minkymoo
Friday 22nd May 2009, 12:50
just to clarify on the 3309 oil in the aw 55-50/51 (5 & 6 speed) boxes, the oil is not synthetic, though a volvo dealer may tell you it is!!! it is a semi synthetic blend(petroleum based) castrol are the manufacturer and they have spec sheets for all their fluids online, you pay extortionate prices for the relabeling of the oil by volvo!!! gm and several jap companies use the same aisin warner boxes/the same oil and the replacement fluid is a fraction of the volvo labeled stuff!!!!!