PDA

View Full Version : help please

crasin
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:12
Hi all still reading daily but sorry i dont post much but have had a small problem this evening on way back fro tip my actuator arm popped off so let it cool down and popped it back on but i assume it has turned because it hits boost cut when accelerating so i need to know which way to turn it to get it back to normal, hope this makes sense

many thanks in advance!

crasin

AlanG
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:20
Unless the lock-nut is not secured it should be as it was.Adlustment of the actuator is only possible if you slacken the lock-nut and wind in/out the rod. HTH.

crasin
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:22
That makes sense so the rod will turn freely if not connected to anything but no adjustment is made unless lock nut is undone (i fear mine was loose and never got round to tighening!)

many thanks

crasin

AndysR
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:33
That makes sense so the rod will turn freely if not connected to anything but no adjustment is made unless lock nut is undone (i fear mine was loose and never got round to tighening!)

many thanks

crasin

When you say the rod has popped off... do you mean it has come off the wastegate arm? or the rod has seperated due to unscrewing...

In any case the preload on the wastegate arm/actuator can be roughly setup by looking through the hole in the actuator arm where it pops onto the wastegate arm you should be able to see half of the wastegate arm through the hole ;)

crasin
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:54
When you say the rod has popped off... do you mean it has come off the wastegate arm? or the rod has seperated due to unscrewing...

In any case the preload on the wastegate arm/actuator can be roughly setup by looking through the hole in the actuator arm where it pops onto the wastegate arm you should be able to see half of the wastegate arm through the hole ;)

Basically there is the arm with the lock nut which is loose :( then the end bit with the hole in it that has popped of i presume the wastegate with the small pole (hope this makes sense) then the arm goes over the top, just went out and the end with hole can rotate very freely with fingers so i assume it has spun around.

now tried it wound all the way in to the lock nut and still hits boost cut pretty much straight away then tried it alot of the way out and same response but is dark and trying to find a torch to try your rough setup so correct me if i am wrong if i place the arm over the top of the pole/wastegate and make sure i can only see approx half the pole?

thanks in advance

crasin

AndysR
Monday 11th May 2009, 21:59
Basically there is the arm with the lock nut which is loose :( then the end bit with the hole in it that has popped of i presume the wastegate with the small pole (hope this makes sense) then the arm goes over the top, just went out and the end with hole can rotate very freely with fingers so i assume it has spun around.

now tried it wound all the way in to the lock nut and still hits boost cut pretty much straight away then tried it alot of the way out and same response but is dark and trying to find a torch to try your rough setup so correct me if i am wrong if i place the arm over the top of the pole/wastegate and make sure i can only see approx half the pole?

thanks in advance

crasin

Yes that's right, the actuator arm should be secured on with an R pin, and possibly a C clip as well depending on turbo, though to prevent what has happened to yours ;)

As for the actuator length if you shorten the rod you increase the boost levels because you are increasing preload. Best thing to do is to wind it right out therefore least preload, least amount of boost, then adjust it at half a turn at a time but I really would entrust the boost pressure readings to at the very least a semi accurate boost gauge. Then once you have set the boost make sure you do the lock nut up nice and tightly against the rod ;)

crasin
Monday 11th May 2009, 22:06
Cant find a bloody torch typical! just seems weird that it hits boost cut straight away in either postion, 1 thing i did notice that the wastegate arm has 3 postions(sort off) fully open as you look at the engine from passenger front wheel sits about 2-3 o'clock then closed or rest postion at about 9o'clock then goes beyond rest to about 7o'clock so do i do this setup at rest?

again many thanks for your help it is aprreciated!

crasin

AndysR
Monday 11th May 2009, 22:11
The wastegate arm shouldn't turn 360 degrees... if thats what you mean? If it does then you may have found your problem...can you get a couple of shots?

In any case if it were mine I would wind the actuator rod right out, within reason obviously don't want the rod dropping off the actuator..., then re-attach the actuator onto the wastegate arm and try it from there. If it is still hitting boost cut then the actuator rod may have come loose inside the actuator or the actuator my have a split diahpram causing the actuator not operate meaning the wastegate doesn't open hence why your hitting boost cut... one way to see if the actuator is working is to put some pressure down the vac pipe to the actuator and see if the rod moves outwards, I found a bicycle pump was perfect for this simple test ;)

crasin
Monday 11th May 2009, 23:02
All sorted thanks again Andysr i was mistaken as to how much it moved but i can be forgiven i think due to working blind! lol did to you rough guide and was still what "felt" like over boost but it shortly ran out of fuel never done that before in the volvo so off i went with jerry can and stuck 10 litres in and low and behold it worked!! :) so it was'nt overboosting but running out of fuel! but all fixed now and will tighten up lock nut and replace R clip that is missing

thanks again for your help Andysr it was appreicated in my hour of need! if we ever cross paths i will buy you a pint!

crasin

AndysR
Tuesday 12th May 2009, 00:04
All sorted thanks again Andysr i was mistaken as to how much it moved but i can be forgiven i think due to working blind! lol did to you rough guide and was still what "felt" like over boost but it shortly ran out of fuel never done that before in the volvo so off i went with jerry can and stuck 10 litres in and low and behold it worked!! :) so it was'nt overboosting but running out of fuel! but all fixed now and will tighten up lock nut and replace R clip that is missing

thanks again for your help Andysr it was appreicated in my hour of need! if we ever cross paths i will buy you a pint!

crasin

Just glad to help a fellow member out :)