PDA

View Full Version : engine wont run,.. thinking caps please!!

mk3phill
Sunday 10th May 2009, 18:25
ok dropped my 2.5lpt into the car earlier,.. and associate engine harness.

fule pump primes,. there is fule gettin to the rail
we have spark
there are no vacume leaks on any boost pipes
all vacume lines attached.

it turns over,,..fires,.then cust out an carries on turning an cutting.

this is really annoying now guys need help asap!

thanks
phill

t5 stealth
Sunday 10th May 2009, 22:12
poss ignition module,
or cam/crank sensor.

Tomcat
Sunday 10th May 2009, 22:25
Which ECU are you using??.

AlanG
Sunday 10th May 2009, 22:28
Strange one........Sounds a bit like cam position sensor but I had a similar problem with mine a while back (which cleared itself!) and someone suggested immobiliser antenae.....vacuum leaks wouldn't prevent it from starting.HTH

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 10:12
poss ignition module,
or cam/crank sensor.

ill try it but havent touched anything on interior, an was driving the car on sunday last week...

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 10:12
Which ECU are you using??.

its got its own ecu in,. my old one was the 10v so ran a siemans unit, bosch is whats in place now

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 10:15
Strange one........Sounds a bit like cam position sensor but I had a similar problem with mine a while back (which cleared itself!) and someone suggested immobiliser antenae.....vacuum leaks wouldn't prevent it from starting.HTH

i havent got a cps to try over,. my old 10v unit is larger then the 20v ones so wont fit.

are the immobilisers configured with the engine and ecu?

i ruled that out since the central locking works,.. then lets it turn over,. although it starts an dies

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 11:04
If you've swapped ecu's and your using your old key then that's probably your problem, the keys are coded to the ecu, so if you've swapped them you'll either need the key recoding or you'll need the other key.

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 11:15
cheers man,.. that makes some sense... i made sure to remove the whole dash and its wireing so i can swap that all over if needed. just one thing my old key is like a norm service key,. it doesnt have an chip installed with it? but the lpt engine had a key with chip. i guess its best if i install the rest of ignition from the lpt engine then.

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 11:50
Ah....if you've fitted the ecu then all you should have to do(I think) is to fit the ignition barrell so you can use the right key. Once you've done that it should recognise the key as being correct and start. Good luck....

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:02
my 850 is a 95 althoug its got the obdII. it only has the standard alarm system and my key is the non coded ones? will there be a transponder on my stock set up that's connecting with the ecu. an hopefully i will have to just change the barrel.. or in my case the ignition colum?

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:18
If your stock key doesn't have the transponder but the new key(from the 2.5) does, and your using the ECU from the 2.5 then that's why it's not starting, the ECU is looking for the transponder signal from key and not finding it. Not sure it'll work but try having the 2.5 key as near to the ignition as you can when you try and start it with your old key, it may pick up the other key.

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:22
yer i wasnt sure if my stock alarm would have the reciver ring on the steering colum or the control box inside the car that would communicate to the ecu?

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:40
Good point, can't say I'm afraid, the wiring may be there, best to whip the column covers off and have a look if you can see it. If it's not then it'll be time to break out the soldering iron, unless someone can reprogram your ecu to ignore the missing transponder signal.

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 12:52
solderin iron!! reprogram ecu!! why the bother haha ive got the whole dash and engine bay wireing harness's here jus swap them over!! lol. still trying to get it to run though before that

mk3phill
Monday 11th May 2009, 22:12
its alive now! crisis over,. now the joy to get it running right

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 22:15
AND????, what was it?????....

AndysR
Monday 11th May 2009, 22:19
Be interesting to find out what the cause of the problem was if you know just in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future :)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 11th May 2009, 23:55
Thats it, typical eastenders moment, leave us on a cliffhanger. LOL

mk3phill
Tuesday 12th May 2009, 00:57
haha sorry guys!! it was something to do with the immobiliser.. once i took the system out of my car even though i installed the lpt ecu,..the alarm relay,..the transponder box,.and the steering colum with the coded key... it was still allowin me to turn engine over but then immobiliser cutting in.

so i used my 10v ecu and she fired up straight away,.. now i dont advise anyone to use anything other than the appropiate ecu but this got me past the immobiliser issue so i know there was no engine issues.

now due to that and the lpt having the volvo guard II alarm system fitted i had to get hold of another ecu that didn not incorpirate the alarm system. and while i was searchin for some tools in my room i uncoverd a old T5 ecu that i saved from a scrap car 4 years ago. put this in place of the lpt and engine still started up.. didnt idle right as ive got 4 boost pipe clamps missing and a vacume line but i have to get that sorted anyway and fit new fule lines ect. so a lot to fix for now but i know it starts up.. woop woop!!!