PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Eibach's

Tomcat
Saturday 9th May 2009, 17:21
Well my new Eibach springs turned up the other day so I decided to have a go at fitting them today, it was gone 12pm by the time I started so I only got the front's done(then the heavens opened). While stripping the struts down I found that one of the bump stops had come off it's metal mount and dropped, so after a bit of a repair job with some cable ties it's back in place again.

At the moment the front's at the same ride hight as before, but I've yet to take it for a spin so hopefully it'll settle a little lower than it is now.

These pics where taken before swapping the springs, I'll take some more once I finish fitting the whole set.

Pliskin
Saturday 9th May 2009, 17:25
Have I missed something TC, I take it you are keeping the car?

Tomcat
Saturday 9th May 2009, 17:30
Lol, yeah for now at least, there was little to no interest and I'm not giving the car away for next to nothing.

Tomcat
Saturday 9th May 2009, 18:48
Just been for a good ride and the passenger side has dropped another half inch or so, however the drivers side is still the same.....er...

t5 pete
Saturday 9th May 2009, 18:57
Glad you got the front done as for where the car site i find it depends what level the car is on some times it looks like my car has returned to original suspension then other time like its been dropped loads try to get the car on level ground.

850 t5 vs 600cc
Saturday 9th May 2009, 19:02
looking good Tomcat, let me know when you want the £££, and where i send it. My brother will be fitting mine as he works in a garage with a proper ramp and tools that i don't have. LOL.

cameron
Saturday 9th May 2009, 20:36
Looking good TC

Glad you've decided to keep her :B_thumb:

tandino
Sunday 10th May 2009, 18:17
I had Eibachs on mine and i found them no lower than stock R Springs at the front and mine had been on for a good few months.
I swapped to PI Springs for mine which i prefered over the Eibachs, bit firmer and a tad lower...

unforgiven
Sunday 10th May 2009, 18:20
usually takes a good 100miles or so to settle in

tandino
Sunday 10th May 2009, 19:36
usually takes a good 100miles or so to settle in

Its more time and mileage, usually a couple of weeks if not more.
But do not expect them to be lower than stock R/T5R springs on the front end, it simply will not happen!
The 30mm lowering on the Eibachs is taken against stock T5 springs, obviously the 850T5R and R springs are lower than T5 springs so the 30mm drop equates to nothing!

Tomcat
Sunday 10th May 2009, 20:23
These springs where off a C70 but they're probably the same fitment, looking forward to fitting the rears as they've been cut down a little, having seen the front's I'm tempted to cut them down too,lol.

I had Eibachs on mine and i found them no lower than stock R Springs at the front and mine had been on for a good few months.
I swapped to PI Springs for mine which i prefered over the Eibachs, bit firmer and a tad lower...

marky 76
Sunday 10th May 2009, 20:43
you wont be able to cut the fronts tc,, well you can but it wont fit and will be dangerous imho

Tomcat
Sunday 10th May 2009, 20:43
Yeah, I had thought that myself, it could be done but not without oxy gear to heat the end up and bend it to the right shape.

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 13:16
Ok, fitted the rears today, it was a damn site easier than fitting the fronts. The only minor problem I had was that because these new ones have been cut down I couldn't get the springs to stay in the top mounts while lowering the car back onto it's wheels, took a bit of fiddling. The back has dropped a good half inch to an inch and looks spot on, it was soo low I had trouble getting the jack under it,lol.

Pic....

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/DSCF0514.jpg

850 t5 vs 600cc
Monday 11th May 2009, 13:22
Looking good Tomcat. Thats how low mine was when i had a load of slabs in the back. Bit heavy though. LOL.

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 13:24
Lol, I don't plan on carrying anything like that in the back of mine so this low is ok(I hope,lol)...

t5 pete
Monday 11th May 2009, 15:30
Looking good craig my front sits a little higher than the rear aswell but i do have problems when coming to jacking the front up so i wouldnt really want it any lower.

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 16:58
As far as I can tell it sits pretty level really, the ground isn't level in that pic, it drops down towards the front of the car.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 11th May 2009, 19:07
While on the subject of lowering springs, found out recently that the nivomats on all, AWD are the same, although the v70r is 30mm lower, i pressume this is just cos of the springs being lower uprated ones, and therefore hope that a set of elbach, will provide a lower ride on my 850 AWD, meaning the self leveling nivomats, adjust to the overall new ride height of the elbach.???please correct me if im wrong, dont want to start scrapin

Tomcat
Monday 11th May 2009, 19:26
Nivomats will keep the ride height a little high, I once changed just the rear shocks for some standard ones and lost about an inch or so.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Monday 11th May 2009, 19:39
sorry to hi jack the thread, just about to replace nivomats on an 850 AWD,
i know they only make one height of nivomat after talkin to Simon at frf,
so can only think that they use uprated lowered springs on the V70R AWD, please correct me if this is wrong???
will a set of elbach do the job on my 850 ??
mods so far
jetex twin rear exhaust
k/n replacement panel filter
bilstien b4 and new wishbones
poly bush engine and firewall
vented drilled discs
mbc and gauge
k1 ignition leads
irridium sparks
crome grill
to fit soon / nivomats, clutch, poly torque bar mounts,
and maybe these springs if they'll work??
on the wish list at mo is nice set of wheels, ipd antiroll bar kit and droplinks,
16t, custom remap bigger injectors and downpipe, race cat, turbo timer, oh and a partridge in a pear tree

Tomcat
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 18:17
Noticed the other day that the car was making some very strange noises when turning, I'd had a funny feeling about the drivers side when I fitted the springs, so I had a look last night. When I jacked the car up I saw that the spring was sat all wrong and was actualy off to one side so far that it was rubbing against the inner wing. After much head scratching and removal of the drivers side strut I managed to work out that some idiot (namley me) had managed to fit the spring on upside down!, it's amazing how much better it fitted once it was on the right way round,lol.

Now the only part I have to figure out.....is how the hell did I manage that without noticing the first time?.

t5 pete
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 18:21
Noticed the other day that the car was making some very strange noises when turning, I'd had a funny feeling about the drivers side when I fitted the springs, so I had a look last night. When I jacked the car up I saw that the spring was sat all wrong and was actualy off to one side so far that it was rubbing against the inner wing. After much head scratching and removal of the drivers side strut I managed to work out that some idiot (namley me) had managed to fit the spring on upside down!, it's amazing how much better it fitted once it was on the right way round,lol.

Now the only part I have to figure out.....is how the hell did I manage that without noticing the first time?.

LOL and you was getting on at me with air bags

MrMopp
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 18:34
TC first lesson in haynes book of lies REFITTING IS REVERSAL OF REMOVAL :saythat: :rotfl: :cuckoo:

850 t5 vs 600cc
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 20:59
TC first lesson in haynes book of lies REFITTING IS REVERSAL OF REMOVAL :saythat: :rotfl: :cuckoo:

:lol::lol::tank:

Could not think of anything funnier to say.