PDA

View Full Version : Amp Replacement

KARL
Saturday 9th May 2009, 10:12
I need to replace my V70 R`s amp thats under the drivers seat !

Does anybody know of a direct replacment amp ,other that volvo.

I hear there is an Alpine unit , straight swop job !!

I want to ad another amp to power a Sub , but wanted to keep the cars
standard system standard ,ish as not to spend a fortune !

Any idea`s ?

Cheers.

Baj
Saturday 9th May 2009, 12:11
Any sub will replace it I think.
It is difficult to say for sure as I have never taken mine out (which is for S60 but doubtless near the same) but at the end of the day it has speaker wires in and speaker wires out and a power cable (and remote power).

Std amps have RCAs in so you may need to get the soldering iron out and make up some new cables., Likewise, the remote fly may be some special connector that needs adapting.

However if you just want to add a sub you will want a seperate amp anyway. I would cut (split them if you must but it will sound better without the rear speakers) the rear speaker lines behind the HU (put some bullet connectors on them so you can re-attach at a later date. Connect new wires to the cut wires at the HU side and bring them to the back of the car an insert into the new amp.

I have a sub in my boot which runs on a seperate amp. My HU is replaced with a carPC which goes through the std Volvo amp under the seat.

Note: If you have the Dolby system the centre speaker is amplified within the headunit

KARL
Saturday 9th May 2009, 12:26
Any sub will replace it I think.
It is difficult to say for sure as I have never taken mine out (which is for S60 but doubtless near the same) but at the end of the day it has speaker wires in and speaker wires out and a power cable (and remote power).

Std amps have RCAs in so you may need to get the soldering iron out and make up some new cables., Likewise, the remote fly may be some special connector that needs adapting.

However if you just want to add a sub you will want a seperate amp anyway. I would cut (split them if you must but it will sound better without the rear speakers) the rear speaker lines behind the HU (put some bullet connectors on them so you can re-attach at a later date. Connect new wires to the cut wires at the HU side and bring them to the back of the car an insert into the new amp.

I have a sub in my boot which runs on a seperate amp. My HU is replaced with a carPC which goes through the std Volvo amp under the seat.

Note: If you have the Dolby system the centre speaker is amplified within the headunit
Thanks Baj
I wanted to leave the standard set up plus another Amp/sub in boot (V70).

I was planing to take power and a feed from the rear speakers to the boot sub/amp.
I understand your thinking of getting 1 new amp to do both jobs !
Ps I do not have the centre speaker set up.

Cheers