PDA

View Full Version : I think... RICA may... have finally fixed it!!!!

mikouk
Thursday 7th May 2009, 19:39
Just got an email saying that a new map was waiting for me on the RICA server. Tentatively I synced my PPC and took it out to the car where at last it didn't just want to 'read' the car! So managed to upload new map on to the car.

Long and short of it, before it was horrible. Very powerful but all in one short burst, and lots of horrible power spikes and dips throughout the rest of the rev range.

NOW, bloody hell. The car absolutely flies! No juddering and no stopping the surge right up to the limiter. I have only tested it quickly on a 60 mph road so only tested in 2nd and 3rd.

I will do a longer write up (maybe to rival Cornclose's LOL) in a few days once i know the car is definitely ok. but so far so good.

Cheers
Mark

volvolised
Thursday 7th May 2009, 20:05
Excellent news mark...will we see the beast unleashed on sunday....warren

mikouk
Thursday 7th May 2009, 21:56
Hopefully mate, if I'm allowed out to play!

AndysR
Friday 8th May 2009, 00:01
Result a true rocket ship in disguise now then! :)

KPB
Friday 8th May 2009, 00:36
Fantastic news. Suddenly I miss my recently departed RICA S60!

cornclose
Friday 8th May 2009, 12:28
Suddenly I miss my recently departed RICA S60!

Doh! :croc:

cornclose
Friday 8th May 2009, 12:36
NOW, bloody hell. The car absolutely flies!

Glad to hear it Mark - I too was like you and wanted to properly test it before jumping for joy, but it's still fantastic on mine, not a hiccup, and now up to 28.4 mpg!

I think KPB was a little premature IMHO...:cool:

mikouk
Friday 8th May 2009, 14:05
and now up to 28.4 mpg!

Yes I think the whole Fuel saving and better MPG is a complete myth! Mine was 29 yesterday. It has dropped to 27 today and I haven't been hooning it around... yet!

Dream3r
Friday 8th May 2009, 14:15
lol, my average is sitting at 22.5mpg with RICA 310

AlanG
Friday 8th May 2009, 14:16
I had mine re-mapped by Hamish at HLM and after a month or so been able to check my ave consumption and it has definitely improved. Was about 27mpg,now 29-30:banana:

cornclose
Friday 8th May 2009, 14:28
It all depends on the kinds of roads and driving you do - most of mine is fast dual carriageway. All I know is that since the remap, mpg is going up rather than down (even with a slightly more agressive drving style...). Why ? Probably because my foot isn't always as far down as it used to be to get the performance...

mikouk
Friday 8th May 2009, 15:20
Probably because my foot isn't always as far down as it used to be to get the performance...

Hopefully your right mate. I will keep a close eye on mine over the next few weeks. I'm driving to the south of France in a couple of weeks so that will be a good test!

richiemat
Friday 8th May 2009, 15:39
That's good news Mark! I still haven't quite got courage to reach into my pocket for a RE-map perhaps a go in yours will change my mind!
Won't be there this weekend after-all though will have to arrange another time. Look forward to seeing the photos if you are still going...Rich

KPB
Saturday 9th May 2009, 21:36
I think KPB was a little premature IMHO...:cool:

Nah, I briefly regretted selling the S60, but that was more based on disappointment with the overall experience. In hindsight, whilst there were a few enjoyably eye-widening moments whan the RICA was working properly - and I loved the seats - the T5 was a total bloody nightmare from start to finish. The tally of unforseeable problems with that car reached 16 in 5 months. And thats from a 2-owner motor with FVSH.

Any lingering affection I had for it disappeared today when I had the 530d remapped up to 225bhp. Similar performance where it counts, plus 48mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising your cars as I really wanted the S60 to work out for me, but I really picked a bad one.

Bob France
Saturday 9th May 2009, 22:02
Mikouk, I shall be keeping an eye out for your motor,mind the cops hiding behind the motorway bridges [normally just before you hit the peage[tolls]coming off the motorway].
Remaps certainly help with the fuel,I've been really pleased with the return on mine!!!