PDA

View Full Version : Rough noise, black smoke

850 t5 vs 600cc
Thursday 7th May 2009, 13:59
Has my turbo gone or should i be looking at something bigger.
I was driving along the road and the car just lost power, I put the clutch in and rolled down the hill. When i got to the bottom i put it back into 5th gear and still no power. I managed to drive 50 yards to make it safe to park.
Got towed home and still no power but the engine does run but not well, still have the black smoke and not sure what to do. I don't have the space to strip it down so i'm hoping that someone else has had the same problem and knows a thing or two.

Many thanks Dave

Not told the misses yet as she is at work. I hope it cheap to fix...

AlanG
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:15
Black smoke? I'd have an explanation for any other colour my friend. That's normally associated with worn fuel pumps on diesels. Definitely not blue? Sorry....not suggesting you're colour blind,but as a mechanic it's unheard of in my experience:confused:

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 7th May 2009, 15:51
Has my turbo gone or should i be looking at something bigger.
I was driving along the road and the car just lost power, I put the clutch in and rolled down the hill. When i got to the bottom i put it back into 5th gear and still no power. I managed to drive 50 yards to make it safe to park.
Got towed home and still no power but the engine does run but not well, still have the black smoke and not sure what to do. I don't have the space to strip it down so i'm hoping that someone else has had the same problem and knows a thing or two.

Many thanks Dave

Not told the misses yet as she is at work. I hope it cheap to fix...

It's an 850 t5? black smoke usually tells of running very rivh ie:- to much fuel can you get the codes read? if it's a 95 you might have the gizmo under the bonnet by the washer bottle filler?

ahhpigsy
Thursday 7th May 2009, 16:53
Check for a huge air leak, when I exploded my intercooler I got exactly the sAme, rough as a dog and proper black smoke.

t5 pete
Thursday 7th May 2009, 17:27
It could be a simple as one of the inter cooler pipes that has come off my once blew off when i was on a bypass with no where to park and i manages to make the car barely drive but it was smoking like mad and the smoke was black

AlanG
Thursday 7th May 2009, 18:01
You live and learn!!

walter leever
Thursday 7th May 2009, 18:04
Chech your air massmeter(try to swap with anyone to check whether that's the problem.

flyingbrick
Thursday 7th May 2009, 20:49
Like Pete said check your intercooler pipes bud.......

850 t5 vs 600cc
Thursday 7th May 2009, 22:09
Like Pete said check your intercooler pipes bud.......

A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED.

When the car had cooled down i when back and and checked all the pipes, some were ok some had come loose and the intercooler pipe had come off.

I went to colect the brakes from Stuart at volvo Johnsons and it came to £52 and that was for 2 front discs, pads and an oil filter. Well made as well. I now have power and can stop. Next is suspension.

Cheers dave