PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel

mikouk
Thursday 7th May 2009, 11:52
I have recently changed my wheels from 17's to 18's. Will the spare wheel in the boot which is a steel still be ok to use? What would happen if I had different size wheels on either end of the axle? Obviously I would only be driving slowly to the nearest tyre place.

Cheers
Mark

p fandango
Thursday 7th May 2009, 12:53
I have recently changed my wheels from 17's to 18's. Will the spare wheel in the boot which is a steel still be ok to use? What would happen if I had different size wheels on either end of the axle? Obviously I would only be driving slowly to the nearest tyre place.
it should still drive ok, the new Toyota MR2's run different wheels front & back so obviously can only have the one size spare. If it was dangerous they wouldn't supply the car like that

dave stew
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:05
I'm on Nebs like you and have the spacesaver spare, so it should be fine.

mikouk
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:12
Brilliant! Thanks guys, another problem sorted.

cornclose
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:20
What is the diameter of the tyre of the spare ? If it's the same as the wheels on the car, it should be fine. If it isn't, it should also be fine, but the corner with the spare fitted will sit at a different height to the other three, that's all.

Baj
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:44
18s on lower profile tyres will have a pretty similar rolling radius to 17s on a higher profile tyre.

p fandango
Thursday 7th May 2009, 14:51
18s on lower profile tyres will have a pretty similar rolling radius to 17s on a higher profile tyre.
my 18's have actually got a smaller rolling radius than the standard 16's & tyres lol

t5 stealth
Thursday 7th May 2009, 23:58
if u run 2 difrent size wheels,ie the rolling radius is not the same then you run the risk of damage to your diff if fitted odd on the front & also you may get the abs light show up on the dash if fitted to either end,as the speed sensors detect that 1 wheel is travelling at a diffrent speed to the rest,
which may confuse the abs/tracs.