PDA

View Full Version : Which engine/setup would you use?

EddyP82
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:17
Hi Gents,
Bit of a Volvo noob here, but i'm looking for a new engine to use in my kit car, the volvo engine is standing out to me due to the power its possible to get for a relatively low budget.
I'm intending to use a Ford ST gearbox, as I want a manual 6 speed, from what i've managed to find the bell housing looks the same so think it should match up ok.
I'll either be using a megasquirt or Emerald ECU (emerald more likely)
I'm aiming for a minimum of 300 BHP.

What i'd like to know is, which engine would be best to go for, is it worth paying extra for an "R" engine?
Did volvo do a manual 6 speed box? (2WD not AWD)
I've ready using a 19T turbo and S60 R manifold is a good option, would this be the best to go for?
Does anyone do a tubular manifold at a decent price, what sort of gains can be expected over the S60 manifold?
At what point did the engines change to coil packs rather than a dizzy and coil, I could use the dizzy but would rather go down the coil pack route, however Emerald are struggling to do this for a 5 cylinder :(

Sorry for all the questions but any info would be really much appreciated.

Thanks

Baj
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:19
As I understand it gears 1 and 6 in the ST box are the same ratios as 1 and 5 in the T5 box so there is little point in spending out on the doubtless more expensive 6-speed.

PaulZX
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:21
I wouldn't use the 6 speed box, the only gears different are 3rd and 4th, you wount gain much if anyting....

manifold, you'll be fine with a late ME7, or S60R... Tubular on fleabay for £999 + p&p, won't give you much other than a pain the ass to fit it.... dizzy and HT's are good up to 591bhp so far (see RT mechanics build for MORE details...)

I sound like I know what I'm saying now.... lmao

oh and green injectors are the biggest.....

EddyP82
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:28
The ST boxes can be picked up for £100 so its not exactly a huge expense... deffo need an LSD so not sure if any of the volvo boxes come with an LSD or which would be cheapest to get one for...

Are there any differences in the engines from an early 850 to a late S60 or similar?
Are the R engines only different in the way of turbo/manifold injectors and ECU ?

Thanks for the help :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:34
the r engines normally just have a different tune if i were you i would get a pre me7 t5 engine so either 850 or p1 v70 s70

EddyP82
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:41
Just to let you know, its going in the back of this:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/3138/IMG_6102.JPG

Thanks Pete, it'll be a nice cheap one then.
Did any of the volvs have a 6 speed box? were they the same ratios? I wonder why Ford/volvo decided to use a 6 speed if there's not really any benefit, does the ST engine lack mid range torque?

PaulZX
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:54
A guy on here put a T5 engine in the back of a series 1 Beetle..., now that's fast...

Enigma666
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 23:02
The T6 S80 is 6 speed aint it? As has already been said, 5 speed is more than suitable and will save the ball ache dept with marrying it all up :)

Get yourself a Ph1 T5 engine, later ME7 manifold (ported of course lol) Green injectors will be fine for 300hp, Turbo.....now that is a big one....the later KKK would be best for 300 horses or of course go Garrett :D

As far as the ECU goes, you want standalone....have you looked at VEMS at all?

Tim Williams
Thursday 7th May 2009, 01:00
A 2005 on T5 has a 6 speed FWD gearbox, 6th is a higher ratio than 5th on a five speed box. I did post up a bit ago the RPM/ speed for all gears in an ST IIRC. The 5 cylinder engine is quite long so it might be wise to check for space. I would go for a 1995-1998 engine as they have no VVC to control.

Alan M
Thursday 7th May 2009, 08:01
If using a pre ME7 (motronic 4.3-850 T5 or 4.4-70 series T5) 95-98 engine you could always use the standard engine wiring loom, ecu and sensors as you can now buy an ECU with a usb interface which can be mapped by yourself or by getting a professional to map it. Check out the Turbotuner website for more info.

Ed.
Thursday 7th May 2009, 13:34
Ah Mr P, finally dumping the rover engine and getting a proper power plant? ;) Hope you are well, and hope this new engine project goes well, the volvo block is a wise choice.

Ed