PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres...?

timbo_1975
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 17:49
Need a new set on the 16" Perfo's on the S70 shortly.- 205/50-16.

It's had Pirelli P6000's on it now for 2 sets, and although they grip and last well, they're bloody hard in the sidewall and the ride suffers.

Am tempted to go upto a 55 profile to get abit more sidewall as long as they dont rub the arch liners too badly.

What say you??

TIA Tim.

t5 pete
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 19:15
The only way your going to get a better ride with tyres is go up the sizes i the tyre wall

Pliskin
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 19:42
I recently put a set of Uniroyal RainsportII on my S70 and the change in running characteristics was very noticeable, it almost felt as if the front suspension had been renewed.

I had been running Vredestein Ultracs up until this and they were great, but the Uniroyals beat them easily. They are also one of the highest scoring tyres in independant tests.

cameron
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 22:27
Michelin Pilot Primacys ?

Very good tyres with a comfy ride but still grippy :)

daveforber
Wednesday 6th May 2009, 23:11
Need a new set on the 16" Perfo's on the S70 shortly.- 205/50-16. ...

Am tempted to go upto a 55 profile to get abit more sidewall as long as they dont rub the arch liners too badly.

What say you??

TIA Tim.

The ol' tyre size calculator says that the difference in diameter is 21mm (3.44%). The impact on your speedo is an indicated 60mph is actually 62mph.

For what it's worth, most suppliers recommend a maximum difference in diameter of 2.5%, but that's not to say the 55s wouldn't go ... just a bit expensive to find out :P

HTH

v70torslanda
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 21:36
The only way to 'soften' the ride with reference to the tyres is to go back to 15 inch wheels which I guess you wouldn't want to do.

Putting 55 series tyres would raise the car by nearly a half inch. It doesn't sound much but it would look noticably 'wrong'. It could also upset the handling as it would subtly alter the vehicles centre of gravity. There are insurance implications too. . .

In short - DON'T

I have a P2 with 225/45R17s and don't find it harsh at all, even using reinforced 94Y load index tyres which have stiffer sidewalls. Granted it's a heffalump compared to an
S70 but I can't help feeling that it may be your tyre choice which is letting you down.

That is of course only my opinion. I don't like the Pirellis.

luv'n'stuff

J

PaulZX
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 21:52
I had a set of 205/50-16 Toyo Proxes T1-S's pt on my T5 when I got her, and AFAIC they were great, solid grip in the dry, and well above average in the wet, wear rate was below average, but for the extra grip I got, I wasn't upset at how they wore, I think I got 7 - 8K before I had to swap em round....

and if i remember correctly, 55's are gonna rub.....

lance
Thursday 21st May 2009, 10:15
I to have bought some uniroyal rain sport 2s and am very happy with them!

jonno12
Thursday 21st May 2009, 11:21
ive had toyos on mine for 20000 miles now and still got 4mm tread all round

mike k
Sunday 24th May 2009, 00:10
i have put four barum 235, 45 r18s on my v70r awd, and im very pleased with them in the wet and dry, i had p zero rossos before. the barums are made by conti anyway so there quite a good tyre at a lot lower price.
________
Roll Blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)