PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO 850 Air Box Mod

BackInBlack
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:03
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING:

I did this insanely daft mod:

I don't want anyone to tell me it is a good idea or a bad idea. I knew the hot air consequences.

This is not a performance mod, I was merely interested in the 5 cylinder growl with a stock look AND I DID SUCCEED.
The air pipe ducting going from the air box to the grill has since been replaced. (More stock)

Full Details & Photos:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71714

Sample Photos:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8200/rszf4ae0007.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4845/rszf4ae0003.jpg

Don't start a crazy war over this. This is my spare air box, so I thought I might as well test it and give you all the results.

The Results:
I think it sounds amazing. I know you can all use a cone filter but I prefer the stock look. I also know about the after market poly engine mount (gives more engine noise inside the cabin). It may look daft and it definatly does suck in warmer air than normal but I had to do it.
The 5 cylinder sound you hear from your 850 sounds amazing. With this mod the sound is enhanced, and enhanced with no deep 'boomy' noise at WOT. It has a real clean, natural & evil sound. Just the sound I like.

I am not suggesting anyone to do this. This is me having fun with an old air box of mine. I have since got a nice new one, just in case.

I hope you have enjoyed this & I hope it has amused the heck out of you.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO LAUGH TOO :D

Tomcat
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:06
Welcome to the forum, I read your post over on the VOC. To be honest it's your car...so you can do what you want to it,lol.. If your wanting that 5 pot growl then fit a poly bush to the top engine mount, transfers all that lovely 5 pot noise into the interior, and it's not intrusive.

BackInBlack
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:23
Thank you :)

I would like to have done that cheap and simple mod (poly bush) but I have not long since had a full service from Volvo including full belt change & I was advised to have my engine bush mount replaced, so I let them do it with a genuine Volvo part. Damn.

I might do it later on though. :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:50
Hate to break it to you but this is nothing new :) My first T5 had a drilled airbox and that was, errr, about 6 years or so ago.

Its your car so you can do as you please with it. I never had any adverse effects but then I have never been a townie so being stuck in traffic has never been a problem.

BackInBlack
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:57
Hate to break it to you but this is nothing new :) My first T5 had a drilled airbox and that was, errr, about 6 years or so ago.

Its your car so you can do as you please with it. I never had any adverse effects but then I have never been a townie so being stuck in traffic has never been a problem.

LOL.. Naa, I know this mod is old school. I just haven't seen many Volvo 850 write-ups about it. I was curious and I thought I would share my 'adventure' with anyone else who's curious.

I'm no townie too, I rarely get stuck in traffic.

Tomcat
Monday 4th May 2009, 20:58
Well I am a Townie and I hate you both,lol......Baaaah traffic jam's...

PaulZX
Monday 4th May 2009, 21:03
traffic jams are so passe.... I drilled the heck out of my airbox yesterday, and added in a couple of air ducts underneath, dumpin cold air into the region....

BackInBlack
Monday 4th May 2009, 21:06
traffic jams are so passe.... I drilled the heck out of my airbox yesterday, and added in a couple of air ducts underneath, dumpin cold air into the region....

Excellent:hail:

I bet it sounds awesome?

mk3phill
Monday 4th May 2009, 22:18
its one way to get the lovely 5pot noise!! haha during my trip to santa pod other weekend i just ran with-out the bottom half an the filter lmao! got addicted to the noise so was drivin around town last few days the same. and if anything the car felt better driving wise,... i think my airbox has been jamed on the hot side for ages,.. so some cooler air for a change

BackInBlack
Monday 4th May 2009, 22:21
its one way to get the lovely 5pot noise!! haha during my trip to santa pod other weekend i just ran with-out the bottom half an the filter lmao! got addicted to the noise so was drivin around town last few days the same. and if anything the car felt better driving wise,... i think my airbox has been jamed on the hot side for ages,.. so some cooler air for a change

:B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th May 2009, 22:28
Oh how little I knew - I just to go round peoples houses just to make big holes in their airboxes. Live and learn - but if you are happy then WTF. Enjoy and welcome.

MrMopp
Monday 4th May 2009, 22:31
Oh how little I knew - I just to go round peoples houses just to make big holes in their airboxes.

Oh the trials of being single lol :) ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th May 2009, 22:36
Yeah well I used to go everywhere. I'd go see the opening of an envelope so long as it had Volvo written on it. Then I decided to get "commitments" LOL