PDA

View Full Version : Anti Roll bar Problem?

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 14:46
When I went to get my new wheels balanced and put on my car the mechanic noticed an interesting problem with my car. The roll bar seems to be rubbing on the right hand side whereas on the left it doesn't.

I have attached some photos to try and show the problem.

I am a mechanical idiot so please be gentle with your help as I am not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to mechanical stuff.

Cheers
Mark

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 15:11
The second photo (showing the rubbin) is blurred and I can't make it out properly, any chance of taking another?.

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 15:35
Yeah, I thought that might be a problem. I will try but it was up on a ramp when I first took them. I will give it a go though.

mikouk
Saturday 16th May 2009, 12:17
I popped into Kings Volvo today to see if this is a real problem. to be fair they were really good. they took it straight round the back and popped it up on a ramp. They said that both sides are rubbing just as much and that its due to lowering the car too much and using the wrong parts. Could this be true? I know a lot of other people have used the same Koni FSD and Eibach spring combo with no problems so is this true?

Cheers
Mark

mikouk
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 11:51
Any ideas yet guys?

richiemat
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 11:54
i would pop up to Russ to get his view Mark :)

mikouk
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 11:56
i would pop up to Russ to get his view Mark

True mate, but I thought I'd get some opinions before pestering Russ 'again'!

richiemat
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 12:08
In my view the problem with the dealers view is that because you no longer have 'their' parts its too easy from them to say thats the problem?

cornclose
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 12:09
The Volvo suspension kit I am looking at (which also lowers the car by 15mm) does have an optional ARB for the rear - I wonder if it's related for the above reasons ?

dave stew
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 13:37
I think it's to increase the rear suspension stiffness to match the firmer front springs/shocks - the Nivos use softer rear springs than standard so it is to compensate for that.

mikouk
Wednesday 20th May 2009, 17:28
In my view the problem with the dealers view is that because you no longer have 'their' parts its too easy from them to say thats the problem?

Absolutely! They said that they don't reccomend modding their cars as it can be unsafe!!! I said they should start making cars that can go around corners without touching the ground then!

The Volvo suspension kit I am looking at (which also lowers the car by 15mm) does have an optional ARB for the rear - I wonder if it's related for the above reasons ?

Hmm interesting. I have spoken to Russ about changing my ARB's anyway. You could be right though. I will have to see how it does down to france. It will be fully weighed down then.

Thanks guys