PDA

View Full Version : PPC Problems

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 12:13
Just trying a new map on my car. I have updated the PPC etc and gone out to the car to try it. Plugged the PPC in and it has come up with the option of "Read car?" I looked in the manual and it says it needs to read the car for an Hour and a Half! Then I have to send this to RICA for them to update my map!
Surely thats what they've already done isn't it? I know for certain my battery will not allow the PPC to be plugged in for over an hour without it dying.

What do I do? Is it RICA's fault? Have they sent me a duff update?

Cheers
Mark

cornclose
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 12:22
I havn't had this - ever, thankfully. I don't see why it should be asking you to read the car - it should already know what you have in there based upon the previous map.

I didn't have this when I applied the new map to my car, but your map may be different (later ?) than mine.

I wasn't too pleased with the prospect of 'upto' 1.5 hours though, as it said in the manual, but I think I did read somewhere that if you have doubts as to how long your battery will last, you should have it on charge too throughout the process...

Good Luck!

cornclose
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 12:27
Oh, did you say you reverted the car back to stock some while ago ? So is the car at stock now as you've connected the PPC ? Has it been anywhere else (like a Volvo garage) in the mean time ?

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 12:36
Good thought mate but no. It is back to stock but nothings been plugged in since the plc last was.

Cheers

cornclose
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 12:53
That's odd then - perhaps you ought to speak to Russ first.

What I found slightly disturbing is the software versions in my new map are the same as the previous one - yet they both drive totally differently and I now have no problems at all.

I'm not sure why RICA havn't changed the version number - it's either I'm on beta version (not available for general release yet) or they've just forgot! (bad revision control...).

I asked Russ this question but he didn't answer - perhaps he doesn't know...

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 14:34
That's odd then - perhaps you ought to speak to Russ first.

I will and I'm sure he will be able to sort it out, its just at the moment anything I buy, be it for the car or for the house or for anything, it always has to be sent back or doesn't quite work properly first time.

I must say though at least I've got Russ as a middle man as trying to get hold of RICA direct is impossible. I'm sure it will get sorted soon.

My Ipod adapter I have bought works almost perfectly though which is good!

Rob_ioClean
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 15:23
I had this, Had to do as it says, plug it in, read the car and let RICA do some magic, then re-download from internet and the upload to car.

Took me 25 minutes to read on mine (C70 T5 ME7)

cornclose
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 15:36
Finally got around to posting my Rica review. Here it is (http://vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21893).

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 17:08
Ok, so it sounds like I have to do a read before I update as a backup. What a pain. I need to get hold of a charger now!

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 18:59
Right! Tried all combinations. Nothing works. I let it 'read' the car then updated it again! Then it just wants to 'Read' again. I have a bookworm of a PPC. What a waste of more sunny hours!

cornclose
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 20:15
Check that the SD card is securely pushed in. In fact, take it out, clean/blow it, and put it back in again. It sounds to me as if it's failing to compare what's in your car with a map on the SD card (because it can't see the SD card), so is prompting you to read the car.

It may then be asking to read it again and again as it failed to save anything to the SD card (because it can't see the SD card).

Is this a new PPC or is it the one you always had ?

hamish
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 20:44
Ahh so I see PPC and Rica still isn't quite right LOL :)

Piles
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 21:04
Ahh so I PPC and Rica still isn't quite right LOL :)

That's constructive.

I've got one of these, as have many others, without issue at all. Very pleased with it indeed in fact.

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 21:20
Ahh so I PPC and Rica still isn't quite right LOL

Very helpful mate!

I still believe when it gets sorted out it will be awesome as when I went for this product I did a lot of research and this one came out top, so like I've already said I am just unlucky, or I'm doing something wrong. Thats why I came on here for 'help'.

mikouk
Sunday 3rd May 2009, 21:23
C
heck that the SD card is securely pushed in. In fact, take it out, clean/blow it, and put it back in again. It sounds to me as if it's failing to compare what's in your car with a map on the SD card (because it can't see the SD card), so is prompting you to read the car.

It may then be asking to read it again and again as it failed to save anything to the SD card (because it can't see the SD card).

Good idea mate I will give it a try. Although when I took the map off it did it perfectly and uploaded the original settings fine.

Is this a new PPC or is it the one you always had ?

Its the same one so I think its actually a map problem rather than a PPC problem.

I will let you know. I'm just impatient, I'm sure it'll sort itself. Its not like the car doesn't run or anything.

KPB
Monday 4th May 2009, 13:26
C

Good idea mate I will give it a try. Although when I took the map off it did it perfectly and uploaded the original settings fine.

Its the same one so I think its actually a map problem rather than a PPC problem.

I will let you know. I'm just impatient, I'm sure it'll sort itself. Its not like the car doesn't run or anything.

I had shedloads of problems with mine too. Froze on first use, claimed it wasnt matched with my car on the second use and locked itself completely (Farnfield had used it successfully right in front of my eyes!).

I was unable to unlock it as I didnt have a username/password from my agent. Contacted them and they needed the box serial number to obtain me a password...but there was no number on my box. Cheers RICA!

I was given a temp password which expired before I could enter it, no word on a replacement from RICA at this point.

As mentioned elsewhere, these issues plus a dozen other mechanical ones prompted me to sell the car. I really hope you get yourself sorted tho, as the map itself is impressive in many ways. Good luck!