PDA

View Full Version : ABS TRACS light, easy fix?

Rob S
Thursday 30th April 2009, 00:40
Hi Guys, as it's late and I'm very tired, I'm going to ask a stupid question.
I've used the search function, but want to double check something before I waste more money on eBay:dunce:
My car sometimes exhibits the warning lights for the ABS and TRACS comes on. This is becoming more frequent, and I am hoping that by getting a working replacement unit (ECU for the ABS) , it'll probably sort it out.
The only other questions are, do all T5 ABS ECU's also look after the TRACS system, and willl it need resetting by a dealer afterwards?
Cheers
Rob

96T5Andy
Thursday 30th April 2009, 08:02
hlm offer a fixing service think its about 120 quid. there is a seller on ebay too that does fixes for about 80 although I think they have accepted best offers of 60. there are tutorials on how to fix it yourself online. do a search of these forums. think it involves a pain in he arse of getting the unit open and then resoldering a few joints. this appears to be the usual reason for intermittant failure. as for tracs not all the abs ecus have it in fact most I have seen on ebay don't have it.. tracs is rubbish anyway. but I don't know if you can fit a non tracs ecu into a tracs car without some issue.

This link was posted in a previous post on here.

http://www.freewebs.com/dacvolvo/absrepair.htm

cameron
Thursday 30th April 2009, 19:59
Which system do you have ?

They changed late 95 ;)

Earlier 95 is the ECU bolted to the N/S Strut top, and the newer ones have the ecu under the pump.

If its an older Tracs one :doh: good luck mate trying to get one, i had to get one from America.

If its the newer one i got one of Readview with Tracs for about £25 iirc and it only took 10 minutes to change it over.

Rob S
Thursday 30th April 2009, 20:43
Cheers guys, it is an older one, so I guess I'll keep looking. Question is, will sticking a new one on there sort it, and will it need dealer clearing "so to speak"?

Torch S70R
Thursday 30th April 2009, 20:55
Siamblue is the man to speak to im sure he'll reply soon enough :)
they can be repaired usually be reflowing the solder joints which sometimes crack over time, the newer ones were conformally coated to avoid corrosion and water ingress

vincent32
Friday 1st May 2009, 02:11
hey m8 you got the teeves abs pump i had the same problems .
youre abs sytem must have a leak in the seal in the bottom black controller unit . i tryed to find & get 1 of these every were but could get 1 .
anywere heard millions of storys of company fixing them or supplying new 1 but no joy none do the old style pump . so youll have a job finding 1 .
look & inspect youre car 4 leaking brake fluid every couple of days it usally under passenger wheel . there be a puddle .
youll have to try part finder but will need the codes from the pump .these are the blue volvo labels on the solenoid . good luck m8 finding 1 .

PaulZX
Friday 1st May 2009, 02:25
on a late 96 plate 855 T5, I can say mine does the same, probably more often in spring than any other time, but usually, during summer autimn, and winter, it stays off...

I notice no difference in driving when the light is on. The ABS still works 100%, tracs aint exactly great anyway (I can wheelspin off in 2nd in the dry with tracs on lmao) and usually the light is off after driving for about half an hour, then shutting off and restarting.....

Maybe just one of them gremlins, if it drives fine and the ABS is still functioning as normal, I'd not worry about it too much.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it"

Drive = normal

Brakes = normal

Accelleration = normal

Normal is happening...

From a workmans point of view, at least....

Alan M
Friday 1st May 2009, 11:13
there is a common fault that is sometims overlooked on 94/95 model cars and thatis a faulty ignition barrel switch, which can throw up the abs light. Try wiggleing your keys in the barrel when the light is on to see if it goes out.

Bob France
Friday 1st May 2009, 14:04
I had the same problem,and as Alan m says,try wiggling the key,worked for me!!!

Rob S
Friday 1st May 2009, 20:22
Thanks Guys, will do!