PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 Newbie help pls power issues

Scootch
Saturday 25th April 2009, 02:00
Hi all, just got myself a 850 Manual estate, she done 123,000 miles fsh, mainly volvo especailly last 5 years, on pull off not as much power as i was expecting, what mods can i do to give me more power but not going to guzzle the fuel and cheapish to do , also what oil would you reccomend , i had noriced that Volvo been putting Magnectic in, but my mate wreckons its done too many niles for this type of oil,,,, all help much appreciated

BigV
Saturday 25th April 2009, 06:37
a T5 guzzles fuel whatever..... Get a remap (£150) or have someone set up a manual boost controller (MBC) for you.

I use 10/40 semi-synthetic in mine....... which is a reasonable price and isn't too thin...... IMO you don't want a really thin fully synthetic oil in an old car, and have the seals start spewing (expensive) oil everywhere, but there are other people who swear by those types of oil.

So each to their own really, just make sure it gets changed regularly along with the filter.

How much power were you expecting anyway? These cars don't really *feel* fast till you look down at the speedo and realise you are going 90mph on an A-road!

irf
Saturday 25th April 2009, 08:54
if you've just got it, do a stage 0 first which means getting the car up to a good standard level. spark plugs, rotor arm, leads etc etc.

you've probably got a boost leak. as standard the boost gauge should go about two thirds into the white area.

have a search on both things, should bring up plenty of info.

timbo_1975
Saturday 25th April 2009, 13:24
Seconded - a proper stage 0 tune and full going over is your starting point. I would put money on the fact you have probably several boost leaks / poorly set up wastegate etc etc..

Do not start chipping a car until it's in good standard health.