PDA

View Full Version : Boost guage

Johnny5
Friday 17th April 2009, 22:25
Hi guys... Hope to fit my boost guage tomorrow, any suggestions as to connection points for the vac pipe? And how to get it through into the dashboard area???
Your help is always appreciated
John

Dangerous Dave
Friday 17th April 2009, 22:32
You should be able to connect to the vacuum tree on ethe inlet manifold (by the throttle body). Then you can route it round the engine bay following the throttle cable to the left side of the engine bay. There should be some spare bulkhead ports (pipes with rubber grommets on the end that you cut off) to push the vac pipe through. Mine was easy to push through. It then gets into the driver compartment in the footwell, bit of a tight squeeze to see, but its easy enough to do.

yellowt5r
Saturday 18th April 2009, 10:50
hi johnny

get some cable feed that through first then tape the vacuum pipe to it then pull it through its a nightmare otherwise

Johnny5
Sunday 19th April 2009, 21:34
I managed to remove the panel above the pedals and find the vac pipe that goes to the dashboard boost guage, put a T piece in there and ran the pipe up behind the dash onto the right side pillar! Did the same with the wiring for the guage illum! So job done! Yay!
;)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 19th April 2009, 21:46
oh yeah, you could just do that lol. I assumed that it hadn't got a gauge already.

Johnny5
Sunday 19th April 2009, 21:52
Its standard on a T5 Dashboard, but it doesnt give you any idea of actual boost acheived :( its just an indicator wether the engine is on vac or boost!

TenaciousC
Monday 20th April 2009, 11:04
Johnny5 - How were you going to mount the gauge on the dash? Is there a special pillar pod or something? Sorry to ask silly questions - just curious as i could do with getting one at some point.

Cheers

C

Johnny5
Monday 20th April 2009, 20:03
The guage i got (From E-bay, costing a fiver!) Goes from -1 bar (-14.7psi) to +1.5 bar (22.05psi) is back-lit by a white bulb. It came with a mounting pod that can attach to any flat surface by means of a sticky pad. I had to replace the sticky pad with some high-grip silicone adhesive as the pod had been used before. I stuck mine to the far right corner of the windscreen and tucked the 2 wires and the vac pipe behind the pillar moulding. My T5 is in standard tune and is making just under 1bar of boost at full throttle.
I will take a pic or 2 and post up here soon
Regards
John

p0xy
Sunday 26th April 2009, 00:03
i done my pipin from under the drivers footwell, disconnected where the white pipe joins and plugged my boost gauge in there and got a pillar mount for it :-
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01463.jpg

and all lit up
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/p0xy/DSC01646.jpg

850 t5 vs 600cc
Sunday 26th April 2009, 12:59
looks sorted, just bought mine off ebay as well. now i know how to fit it as well, just not sure where to put it. i was thinking about fitting it in the dashboard somewhere. cheers dave

ANDYRACER
Sunday 26th April 2009, 15:25
Im hoping to fit my next week and plan on mounting my gauge in the ashtray to keep the oem look.

Johnny5
Sunday 26th April 2009, 20:04
Yup, liking that! ;)