PDA

View Full Version : coolant fan fuse link where is it???

yellowt5r
Friday 17th April 2009, 19:15
Hi All

having a little issue with the coolant fan as it dont come on. i have done a continuity test on the cables going to the relay for the fans speeds (high/low) The is one cable (red 4mm one) that seems to be down to earth, now i know the is a fusable link somewhere between the battery to the fans relay does anyone one where it is?? tried the haynes manual other than the wiring diagram it dont say anything about it.

any help would be good

cheers

Johnny5
Friday 17th April 2009, 22:14
Did a little digging and found this.............

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2009/04/16/1996-volvo-850-electric-cooling-fan-system-schematic-and-wiring-diagram

Does say that the fuseable link is NOT always there!

Regards

John

yellowt5r
Saturday 18th April 2009, 10:40
hi johnny
thanks i did see this diagram but didnt look much help at the time.

what it is the red cable im going on about (a1 on your link) when unplugged if i test that to the - on the battery i get no reading but if i do it to the + on the battery i get a reading (12v) so i know/think that red cable is down to earth. can someone confirm this for me??

thanks

Johnny5
Saturday 18th April 2009, 17:03
Looking at the diagram again (zoomed in) it actually says "HOT AT ALL TIMES" , i read it earlier as "NOT AT ALL TIMES"?????????
I think by that they mean its permanently live (+12V)
There is a fusible link from the starter to a branching point that supplies power via the relay you can check. There should be 12V on that thick red wire at the relay.
Hope this helps
John

timbo_1975
Saturday 18th April 2009, 21:50
AFAIK there is NO fusible link in the fan feed- it comes directly from the +ve battery terminal at the starter motor.

I have problems with one of my 70 cars- no fan at low speed. In my case the ECU was pulling the slow-speed half of the relay to earth, and the relay was switching, but no fan- the resistor on the fan shroud had failed- this required some inginuity to cut out, and replace...

Hope this helps. Tim.