PDA

View Full Version : anybody bought these brakes on ebay?

CONDYBOY
Friday 17th April 2009, 13:08
Hi all,
I have just been doing the spring clean to the brakes on my car and the discs are about shot from the salt on the roads over the winter!
I am really strapped for money at the mo' so I have been scouring ebay for a deal on discs and pads, and these came up.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-V40-6-97-03-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS_W0QQitemZ370119629285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item370119629285&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Has anybody bought them before, if so what were they like?

I would appreciate any input.

cheers

Al115
Friday 17th April 2009, 14:31
Wouldn't it be worth keeping the current ones on for a few months more until you can afford decent brakes, rather than risking it with a set of debatable quality? Maybe not an option but I'd do that if I could.

daveforber
Friday 17th April 2009, 19:55
In my rather stupid and uneducated way, I would have thought you would be OK with the discs? Are they not just round flat lumps of steel?

The pads on the other hand are the bit that makes the friction. And are more easily changed if they're, well, ****.

I could obviously be wrong here.

CONDYBOY
Friday 17th April 2009, 21:31
In my rather stupid and uneducated way, I would have thought you would be OK with the discs? Are they not just round flat lumps of steel?

The pads on the other hand are the bit that makes the friction. And are more easily changed if they're, well, ****.

I could obviously be wrong here.

Thanks for your opinions guys, but I have a one year old babby and a pregnant wife in the car quite often so safety is paramount in my mind. I would normally be happy with a generic make from a motorfacors ie bluepoint, delphi etc.. but I don't have the cash. the discs are shot and if the ones on ebay are made poorly they could be just as bad (even when new). I can't use the old discs or pads, because they have bedded together and need to be replaced as a set. And as the main safety factor in any vehicle (In My Opinion) I was just wondering if the stuff I linked to are decent.

daveforber
Friday 17th April 2009, 21:46
Without a make it's difficult to tell. Mintex is a respectable make and not too much more expensive http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-V40-97-03-FRONT-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-MINTEX-PADS_W0QQitemZ320323979263

Others here on brake threads have used the Mintex boxes if I recall correctly, and haven't reported badly.

daveforber
Friday 17th April 2009, 22:02
Here's a link to another topic. http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20261&highlight=mintex+brake+box

-CHRIS-
Friday 17th April 2009, 22:13
i brought some mintex pads and disks for my v40 off ebay getting on for a year ago now i suppose.. for the money i think they are great..

I read a few posts saying people had trouble with them squealing.. i found they were fine for the first few days bedding in then they started to squeal a bit.. that didn't last long and they have been great ever since! good stopping power and a bargain for the money IMO and i would buy them again..

Tim Williams
Saturday 18th April 2009, 00:16
If you decide to go for genuine discs and pads I will do my best to undercut any Ebay price at least 20%