PDA

View Full Version : Caliper painting

splatt
Friday 20th May 2005, 20:25
Anyone done this ?
Was thinking of doing mine while the wheels are away?? not sure.
Olive green T5-R so what coloiur if I do??

pzorb
Friday 20th May 2005, 20:33
Make sure you do a good job!! A friend of mine painted the callipers on his Clio Sport, went with red - they looked terrible after a few weeks! If it wasn't on here, then there used to be a guide on the 'other' volvo site i'm pretty sure I read a volvo targetted article about it somewhere so have a search!

Martin

dicky b t5
Friday 20th May 2005, 21:35
IF any colour , i think iwould go with black , so they still look nice & clean without looking to chavish or maybe silver ?...!.

Andrew
Friday 20th May 2005, 21:47
I've the same car and I just bought the red paint to do it. Make sure you get the correct paint though or it will look nasty

MikeMitch
Friday 20th May 2005, 23:02
Thought about painting mine gunmetal grey and then getting a decal for it either volvo - see link - or T5.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10432&item=4551333637&tc=photo

siamblue
Friday 20th May 2005, 23:08
I did mine in Red with Hammerite smooth, The break dust just wipes off,and still look as good as the day i painted them a year ago.

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 23:33
Silver definately, did the C70's that colour and also my 200SX's, makes the brakes look huge but without making them look sh*t in a boy racer sort of way.

Did them black at first and the effect was good but looked like had no brakes at all so had to change them to silver!

fraz13
Saturday 21st May 2005, 00:19
A did mine the same colour as ma car

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0332.jpg

Still not sure bout the blue rear hubs tho

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0331.jpg

M44K TS
Saturday 21st May 2005, 01:08
fraz, the back hub looks like you've nicked a set of 1.2 corsa drums, i would have done the hub black and just left the calliper blue

M44K TS
Saturday 21st May 2005, 01:09
by the way, i'd go for silver or red

siamblue
Saturday 21st May 2005, 01:31
I think silver would look good on a Green car, But then again you have silver wheels so it might be a bit ott.

splatt
Saturday 21st May 2005, 12:38
Can anyone send/post a pic of the T5-R 5 spoke and caliper pref on an olive green one(Andrew)! and I will do a paintshop on them to see, I would do but my wheels are away on a refurb!!
Thanks

swordy21
Saturday 21st May 2005, 13:25
Thinking about doing mine blue - car is blue as well. Got the paint, but really waiting until I need the wheels off again. I think gold would look good with an olive green car

Matt30462
Saturday 21st May 2005, 14:14
I'm with the "Gold" option on Olive. Don't think "chav" will be a problem on a car so understated to begin with.

d14vd_h
Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:03
i was toying with this for ages, my car is a matt royalish blue, officiall 'atlantic blue'
i was gonna go with yellow for the whole swedish thing but ive toned it down and went for gold instead.

After_Shock
Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:12
Obviously difficult to decide on the colours but were do people get the paint from?

Obviously theirs halfords but they do silver, black, yellow, red and blue. However the blue is a really bright solid blue, same with the yellow and the red, just wondering if anyone knows anywere with a better range?

Also would any heat resistant paint do the job?

d14vd_h
Saturday 21st May 2005, 18:24
Obviously difficult to decide on the colours but were do people get the paint from?

Obviously theirs halfords but they do silver, black, yellow, red and blue. However the blue is a really bright solid blue, same with the yellow and the red, just wondering if anyone knows anywere with a better range?

Also would any heat resistant paint do the job?

foliatec do a good range that includes all above colours plus green orange gold etc available from demontweeks or most auto shops
as far as im aware u can use any heat resistant or high temp paint , hammerite has a good range of subtle muted clours - brown anyone?
the ultimate is to take the calipers apart and get the caseings blasted and dipped!!!

meffs
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 02:47
Less is more, as they say! Yes blue on the rear looks terrible, I still have mine . :bog: standard 'rust' colour, waiting to see what looks good on here! keep me posted.:haha:

vt5
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 08:20
As Siamblue has said. use Hammerite smooth, ive been using this for caliper painting for years now.

Best choice of colours - B+Q price approx £5 per tin,

Need also a wire brush and fine grit paper to get a smooth ready for paint surface.

Ive always gone for same colour as your car, looks neat and tidy that way and not offensive. even on the olive green cars (i love that colour) id go for an olive green hammerite if they do it, if not then perhaps try and mix colours to get it.....yours will be the only one then with that shade of calipers matching body. :smileypul

Silver calipers on silver alloys make your wheels look smaller and mess it up visually. Mine are silver on silver wheels so i know what it looks like.....i get away with it though cos ive got Thetys multispokes and my car is silver so i wouldnt paint them any other colour. Check out the gallery for pics

Once done give them a clean every time you wash your car and perhaps repaint once a year and they will continue to look great for years to come...... :viking:

MattB
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 19:24
As Siamblue has said. use Hammerite smooth, ive been using this for caliper painting for years now.

Best choice of colours - B+Q price approx £5 per tin,

Need also a wire brush and fine grit paper to get a smooth ready for paint surface.

:viking:

Is this standard Hammerite Smooth or a 'High Temp' version?

siamblue
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 22:02
It doesn't say anything about heat resistance on the tin But i used the smooth as they have more colours to choose from and i didn't want the mottled finish,
But if you have standard discs 280mm i would be a little wary of putting too much on the caliper, As the 280mm discs are prone to warp with standard painted calipers.
On mine i have had no problems at all and to clean just wipe off.

vt5
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 23:38
Smooth finish is fine for calipers, it boils and bubbles on drums though.

Dont put more than one coat on though or it can start to bubble at the edges as it kind of suffocates itself, this is why preparation is important.

discs will warp because they are incapable of dissapating heat quickly enough through lack of venting or their design thickness is too thin for the workload they are being subjected to, didnt think that painted or unpainted calipers would make any difference?

Dont think about it too much, just use one coat of smooth finish and touch up if you need to as you go along. I wouldnt laquer them either as this i presume will cause the same effect as multicoating them.

bigndaft
Monday 23rd May 2005, 10:57
Hi all....I went for understated black (hammerite hammered finish, one coat) supplimented with Red Stuff pads so made them stand out, I'm not keen on painting them the same colour as the car....looks a bit cheesey :pimp2:

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:04
purple?

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:10
red?

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:12
blue?

mikej
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:16
Hammerite smooth in gold as the new calipers are light gold in colour anyway ! dead easy to do ,a few rags ,wire brush and a tin or two of brake cleaner to degrease.Paint it on straight from tin and it will stay the same for years .Always used it and its never failed,cheap as well in my opinion of course.
mike....

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:19
green?

After_Shock
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:24
Now that blue actually looks quite good on the right car of course but only ever seen that really boy racerish bright solid blue in halfrauds!

Would have though Hammerite do a good range of colours though?

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:24
gold?

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:25
Im with blue or gold at the mo..just going to paintshop silver....

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:32
overheated...

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:38
silver (ish)...

SaffronC70
Thursday 26th May 2005, 21:56
Splat, are those Titans refurbed in normal silver ? Look very good - and an alternative to Pegasus !

I'm not allowed to paint my calipers saffron ! I'll be arrested by the style police !

splatt
Thursday 26th May 2005, 22:02
yes...refurbed by 'lepsons' in Kent...top job eh....very pleased...might try and negotiate a VT5 discount with them...they have restored them to 'light anthracite' as standard...did a seperate thread on them so all the info is on there...paint your calipers whatever you want..by the time you do it it will be too late....hehehe...suspect you want to do them in that colour really...
Splat, are those Titans refurbed in normal silver ? Look very good - and an alternative to Pegasus !

I'm not allowed to paint my calipers saffron ! I'll be arrested by the style police !