PDA

View Full Version : A few weeks with the T5

crazy badger
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 21:35
So I've had her a few week now (2001 V70 T5), and am really enjoying my return to Volvo ownership, but had a few comments/questions that I would appreciate any feedback on.

1. When she starts there is a tinny rattle noise that I have been told is the exhaust flexi-pipe. Does that should likely and any idea how much it might cost to replace.
2. She is pretty noise, which could be linked to the above or could be something else. Not too bad under 2500 rpm but anything above that and you need to turn up the radio!
3. Sometimes under hard acceleration I get a bit of a knock and stutter around 3000 rpm but then she takes off and we're away. Any ideas?
4. OSF electric window switch is a little temperamental so I was going to put the Hayes manual to the test and have a look for anything obvious. Is this something a relatively newbie (with limited car maintenance skills) should attempt?
5. Finally, when I turn the key I get an Alarm Service Message which does off after a few seconds. Is this something I should worry about, as everything appears to work alarm wise, although I haven't managed to set it off yet! Petrol flap doesn't lock and thought it might be that?

I'm still amazed by the power of such a long, heavy car but at the same time the ease of driving. She's more than happy sat cruising at 70 whilst everyone slows around you trying to work out if the police are still in control :-)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my questions...

RPM
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 21:55
I have had an ex-police V70 which had a few characteristics (knocks and rattles)

I just grew to live with them.........

whvn
Sunday 19th April 2009, 00:35
I have practically the same car, with similar quirks.

The alarm message is probably due to the siren module battery, they die or corrode after time. The module is under the drivers wing, but I believe you need to change the whole unit which isnt cheap, unless you make can find a suitable battery and retro fit it. It basically means your alarm has no siren. I have yet to be bothered to look at mine, the car still locks and functions ok.

Petrol cap is more than likelly the plastis clip has broken off during filling. You need to fit a new flap to cure this one.

Have fun scaring people on the motorway!

kyebosh
Sunday 19th April 2009, 19:20
So I've had her a few week now (2001 V70 T5), and am really enjoying my return to Volvo ownership, but had a few comments/questions that I would appreciate any feedback on.

1. When she starts there is a tinny rattle noise that I have been told is the exhaust flexi-pipe. Does that should likely and any idea how much it might cost to replace.
2. She is pretty noise, which could be linked to the above or could be something else. Not too bad under 2500 rpm but anything above that and you need to turn up the radio!
3. Sometimes under hard acceleration I get a bit of a knock and stutter around 3000 rpm but then she takes off and we're away. Any ideas?
4. OSF electric window switch is a little temperamental so I was going to put the Hayes manual to the test and have a look for anything obvious. Is this something a relatively newbie (with limited car maintenance skills) should attempt?
5. Finally, when I turn the key I get an Alarm Service Message which does off after a few seconds. Is this something I should worry about, as everything appears to work alarm wise, although I haven't managed to set it off yet! Petrol flap doesn't lock and thought it might be that?

I'm still amazed by the power of such a long, heavy car but at the same time the ease of driving. She's more than happy sat cruising at 70 whilst everyone slows around you trying to work out if the police are still in control :-)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my questions...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16645&highlight=fuel+flap

cornclose
Sunday 19th April 2009, 22:00
Ah, is that what I hear clicking about 30 seconds after I lock the car... Always thought it was a deadlocking type of system, as I've never actually found a problem anywhere!!

thebadger
Monday 20th April 2009, 03:00
Yeah, thought mine was goosed when I got it, but found out it locks about a muinet after the car locks, in case you're at a petrol station...

Stupid smart assed car!