PDA

View Full Version : 2 issues

C70
Monday 13th April 2009, 18:59
1) 2001 v70 has had brakes replaced at dealer all round, now slight wheel wobble like tracking. brake replacement possibly knocked tracking out?

2) 2002 s60 braking at high speeds - severe wheel judder/wobble. doesnt happen below 40 mph. any ideas?

S60-MBS
Monday 13th April 2009, 19:08
Point 2 in my case was down to knackered track rod ends see link below
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45601

point 1 could be related to 2

5seaterT5x2
Monday 13th April 2009, 19:58
1) 2001 v70 has had brakes replaced at dealer all round, now slight wheel wobble like tracking. brake replacement possibly knocked tracking out?

2) 2002 s60 braking at high speeds - severe wheel judder/wobble. doesnt happen below 40 mph. any ideas?

would doubt the tracking, sounds more like bad/warped discs to me, maybe they are not sitting/fitted squarely?
in any case surely back to the dealer?

v70torslanda
Monday 13th April 2009, 23:13
Warped discs are warped discs. It doesn't matter whether it's 40mph or 140. A seized caliper can give you the second problem as can the caliper slides sticking which can be cured by stripping and cleaning.

Brake work can only knock the tracking out if they used slegehammers! Check for loose wheel bolts, check the wheels are still round, check for lumps and bumps in the tyres.

Baj
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 00:57
I have #2 at speed with light braking. MBS makes sense only Mine went through an MoT last month with flying colours.

KPB
Tuesday 14th April 2009, 10:21
I had exactly the same set of circumstances.

Wheel balancing is the first place to start (rather than tracking which is GENERALLY indicated by uneven tyre wear and tramlining rather than vibration). Balancing helped, but didnt eradicate, my car's problems.

In the end I replaced all the brakes myself, only for the problem to return even more pronounced on the fronts 1 month later, both at low and high speeds. I tried everything to sort it, including removing and refitting everything, but in the end replaced the front discs again. Problem solved.

There are dozens of posts across many forums about the phase 2's habit of warping brake discs, especially new ones. I originally used cheap ones but plumbed for brembos the second time around and was ultra-careful about bedding them in.