PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded Cancer......The car not me..

Tomcat
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:53
Didn't worry anyone with the title did I?....

Got bored tonight as there was nothing on the tv, the playstation is out of action thanks to the dog and my little girl was playing outside with her friends, so....I decided to give the car a mini valet... While cleaning the door shuts and the lovely stainless 850 plates that the R's have I noticed something on the passenger side front. I found what I thought was a leaf wedged between the plate and the plastic sill cover, however when I tried to suck it out with the hoover it came away to reveal a small RUSTY hole!!

RUST!!!! on my prized Volvo!, I've always been very proud of the fact that they're virtualy rust free, even at this age. This means that I've got some serious repair work to do to stop it spreading.

Rob S
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:59
I'd be surprised if many of the older one's don't have rust mate.
Sorry to hear about you woes, but I'd put money on you not being the last to find rust as we move into the car cleaning season.
Mines got some bits on it as well, but as 1/4 mile and track sessions approach, at least it's less weight!!

PaulZX
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:59
I've got a little bubbling on the bottom of the n/s back door and the top leading edge of the bootlid....

Not bad for a 12 yr old 200,000 mile car....

Rob S
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:02
See in a way, these cars are good for the environment, they're bio degrading!

Tomcat
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:10
Nooooo!!!!.....it's a T5-R!!!!, there aint that many of them left and it's not just bubbling rust, there a damn hole!.

t5 pete
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:22
ive never had a real look at the sill but can you get to the back of it? if so surly you could get get rid of the rest of the rust plate it and then filler the hole prime paint lacker and under seal where you have fitted the plate

Tomcat
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:30
To be honest I could remove the stainless tread plate, cut the rusty section out and weld in a replacement(The wife will love that), once it's done I can repaint it and know one will ever know...except you lot,lol.

AlanG
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:44
Replace metal with metal....unless you intend to sell. You know what follows if you fill.

cameron
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:55
I was washing the old bus today for the first time in 5 weeks and i noticed a wee bit behind the mudflap :(

The last owner had drilled a hole and not coated it with anything :mad111:

So i might have to get the welder out on tuesday, nip it in the bud before it spreads :B_thumb:

If you spray the sill like you do your arty stuff no-one will ever know ;)

Tomcat
Monday 13th April 2009, 01:18
Replace metal with metal....unless you intend to sell. You know what follows if you fill.

Filler!!!...ME?....Never!!!,lol... I've welded up too many rusty old Fords to be doing that sort of thing, fresh metal will be getting welded in first chance I get.

Hallsy
Monday 13th April 2009, 10:13
Could it be the stainless sill covers that caused it? Trapping dirt/moisture, or used a self tapper for fixing with no rust prevention?

My 850 has some minor bubbles, one on the pass door, looks to be from a stonechip, and some on the rear arches, one side from stone chipping and the other has a small crease and has scraped some of the paint off.

Need to sort it as soon as we get a few dry days, maybe it will encourage me to finish with my S13 respray, lol!

Tomcat
Monday 13th April 2009, 10:15
Could it be the stainless sill covers that caused it? Trapping dirt/moisture, or used a self tapper for fixing with no rust prevention?

Could well be as it's right under the edge of it, no doubt some crap has gotten in there and it's never been cleaned out.

Dan850T5
Monday 13th April 2009, 10:43
to be fair i had a vectra of the same age before and that rusted so much more! I've got a tiny bit if surface rust on my bonnet and thats all i know of.