PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold Blowing?

PaulZX
Sunday 12th April 2009, 22:46
When I took the zorst manifold off, the two gaskets at the drivers side end of the engine, fell apart, into 20+ pieces, and after re-looking at the pic below, I'm seeing sooty marks from a possibly blowing manifold gasket....

I'm not seeing things am I?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nsxl03.jpg

AlanG
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:14
You've done the hard bit matey...Clean the surfaces and refit. It's obviously been blown.

Rob S
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:38
If it's fallen apart, it MUST have been leaking to some extent. As Alan says, with everything you're doing, this a blip as opposed to a big problem surely?
Love the work by the way, you'll get way more out of it than you would with any cologne lump!

PaulZX
Sunday 12th April 2009, 23:46
oh yeh, the blowing manifold aint a problem, it just helps slot a few things into place, I was feeling like I was losing a bit of ooomph somewhere, and I've been on the look out for it all the way thru the job, hence the question about oil in the turbo and intercooler pipes....

It looks like I've found the gremlin...

AlanG
Monday 13th April 2009, 00:03
Not an expert on turbos,but can't see any relation from a blowing inlet manifold gasket to the oil problems you describe...As a mechanic from yesteryear (yeah...points and condensers) I would suggest the seals within your turbocharger,but I am no authority as I have said. Someone will solve this for you on here. That gasket was obviously not helping though so at least thats something..Good luck!!

Alan M
Monday 13th April 2009, 11:54
From the picture it looks like only cylinder number three was sealing properly as there are no deposits on the head around it, whereas 1-2-4-5 were blowing. When you fit the new manifold Paul make sure it is straight and if not you can machine the face to get it true again. If the head was removed you could have also had that machined should it have needed it.