PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade on a budget?

Bison
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:34
Ok my front brakes are f**ked to put it politely. I am suffering serious brake fade and I am sure from the vibrations they are warped as well, plus my little red ( ! ) light is on. I'm thinking I may as well upgrade rather than replace with stock as I am guilty of being a late breaker usually from high speeds.

Any reccomendations on some nice looking good performance discs and pads on a budget. I'm a bit skint so cheap as possible (basically best I can get at lowest price) I am running 18" rims so no brakes are to big for me!

Also if you know please tell me best place to order them.

Cheers Peeps!
Bison

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:43
Probably best speak to VT or possibly try parts for volvo's online or even Eurocar parts. The stock discs are quite well regarded so dont disgard them but the pads can easily be uprated.

Dont worry about having too big brakes for your wheels unless you have 2 grand burning a hole in your pocket!

bigndaft
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:42
Try German & Sweedish car parts they were cheepest when i was looking...I sourced what I wanted ont' tinternet for the best price and then went to my local performance shop and he undercut the internet price so was happy. I got EBC drilled/grooved 302's + red stuff pads and apparently there not that good :pants:

mraldonnelly
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:49
Isn't there a Brembo disk and Ferodo pad combi available from VT that is highly regarded?

Regards

Andy

Andy
Friday 20th May 2005, 10:24
Isn't there a Brembo disk and Ferodo pad combi available from VT that is highly regarded?

Regards

Andy

yup, its approx £200 all in if i remember right.

Andy

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 11:41
The brembo and Ferodo pads I would have thought were a bit more than that, as the pads cost well over £100, however if VT can do them for £200 for the front then thats a great price!

lance
Friday 20th May 2005, 12:23
Im sure mine cost about £300 all round not including fitting , but I heard a rumour that they maybe cheaper now due to a new supplier!

GATHY
Friday 20th May 2005, 19:02
try partco/unipart they got me some ordered for £40+vat a corner grooved and drilled for my 2001 t4 and pads came in at £50 mintex all round.(all cheaper than standard discs)
but my brother owns a garage so this could be discounted.
you can try for nothing they are cheap as chips and they stop quicker than a head on collison.they are brembos in a different language bremtec or something like that . :B_steerin

Bison
Friday 20th May 2005, 19:42
What size discs should I go for? can you mix and match pads I am a bit thick when it comes to brakes. Also what size are the standard discs and if i upgrade to a bigger size do i have to change calipers or anything else?

Bison

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 19:46
If im not mistaken the discs on the front of an 850 are 280mm.

When you say mix and match pads what do you mean? If you change the front discs and pads at the same time you can get whatever make you want aslong as their the same on the left and right hand sides of the car, you can have different pads front to back though.