PDA

View Full Version : Revs

Steveh24
Friday 10th April 2009, 14:20
I have an S60 T5 which goes into the Red at 6000 rpm and cuts out between 6500-7000 rpm and I was wondering if this was a conservative setting by Volvo, or are there more revs avaialble if say I had the turbo modified to boost more pressure.

The problem I find is that the turbo doesn't usually cut in until around 4000-4500 rpm and shortly after it does it's already in the Red, so it would be nice if the boost came in at around 2500-3000 rpm and the engine went into the Red at 7000 rpm

This is obviously a wish list and I may be talking out of my rear-end, but any help or advice would be appreciated.

Steveh24

timbo_1975
Friday 10th April 2009, 14:49
Your car has a problem- the turbo should have spooled by 2500rpm and by 4000rpm the car really taking off.

Max power is around 57-5800rpm on these, so no point in taking them much further....

cornclose
Friday 10th April 2009, 15:39
Depends on the year of the car. Certainly the earlier phase 2 T5's were, to be frank, pretty gutless below 3500-4000 in my opinion.

All he needs is a decent remap.

KPB
Friday 10th April 2009, 16:57
Depends on the year of the car. Certainly the ealier phase 2 T5's were, to be frank, pretty gutless below 3500-4000 in my opinion.

All he needs is a decent remap.

Agree on both points.

Steveh24
Friday 10th April 2009, 23:10
Someone did tell me a while ago that a remap would really help, but the only company that I could find to do it was Rica and when I enquired they wanted over £500, which is a bit out of my range, I assume all that happens is a different program is uploaded to the on-board computer, seems a lot for over £500, couldn't a Volvo dealer do this.

Steveh24

Rob S
Friday 10th April 2009, 23:23
Everyone has their own experience or opinion, but I've dealt with HLM tuning and they were great. Their site shows the do a range of chipped ECU's from £150. I'd recommend that you contact them for whats available.
Good luck with your car anyway mate.
Rob

thebadger
Saturday 11th April 2009, 03:43
The car will always benefit from a remap, but if you want the turbo to spool sooner you may consider adjusting the actuator. ** NOT TO BE DONE BY THE NOVICE **

This will spool the turbo sooner, other options are...

Remap (as discussed)
Replace all plugs & filters (cheap & easy with results)
Replace the EBCS/BCV/TCV & its hoses (big effect reported by many)
Remove all blockages from the intercooler (good for a couple of bhp!)
Get a good filter (panel for the box or cone)
Get a good oil change (helps with crap revving at times)

Also you do not say if it's manual or auto.. could be an issue with the gearbox ecu if it's an auto. Also the gearbox oil may be low. (all things are worth looking at just once...)

cornclose
Saturday 11th April 2009, 09:13
I stand to be corrected, but I doubt you'll get a remap from anyone for £150 for an S60 T5. I think the £150 is for an exchange ECU for the older 850 series only. But again, I stand to be corrected.

The 'cheapest' remap I've come across for the phase 2 models is the one from Autologic (which I think HLM also do) at around the £325-375 mark.