PDA

View Full Version : The Haynes manual lies!!

888dee
Thursday 9th April 2009, 19:52
now there's a surprise,

according to Mr Haynes to change the alternator on the 5 cylinder cars you take the belt off, remove the rear connections and the 3 retaining bolts, replacement is reverse of removal, well my ar$e!!

I removed:
rad top hose
PAS pump cage thingie
aux belt tensioner (although that could probably have stayed)
PAS pump
PAS pump bracket

there was no way that was coming out of there without taking that stuff off, they must have done it with the slam panel and rad's removed :mad111:

happier note was I checked the timing belt while I was there and it's in excellent condition but I'll change it soon any way just to be safe :)

iGGy
Friday 10th April 2009, 11:45
I seem to remember a few more bits of brackets needing to come off than I'd expected.

One thing I tend to do now is that if I'm working in that area of the engine bay I'll take the fan cowling off as it just tends to make it easier to see what needs to be done after the manual has lead you up the garden path.

wegal
Friday 10th April 2009, 12:27
I believe there is a technical term for this situation..... its called being haynsed.

The definition of which is to get half way through a job only to find that the book no longer resembles to job you are trying to do, usually leaving you requiring a degree in motor mechanics to solve the problem

Tomcat
Friday 10th April 2009, 12:41
You can't tell me that you've only just noticed Haynes books are works of fiction?. If they quote a time for a job you can usually double it and involve a trip to casualty as well. As for the "Re fitting is the reverse of removal" load of bo**ocks , well sorry but no, it's not because I now don't have the use of my right hand having crushed it while removing using your stupid instructions.

888dee
Friday 10th April 2009, 13:27
this is the 1st haynes book I've bought in years more as a guide to where things are located.... don't need it from a technical point of view, been taking cars to bits for the best part of 20 years now (god am I really that old??) I knew damn fine before I started the book was a liar, although it was useful to point me in the right direction for the cam position sensor as it's not that obvious on the turbo cars...