PDA

View Full Version : Help Very much Needed!

Goodwood
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 16:31
Hi,

I am having issues with My 855 T5.

Firstly
I am getting fumes in the cabin.
I suspect they are oil fumes, as i have checked over the fuel system and the exhaust and both seems fine.
To add to this the dipstick is smoking quite heavily and i am getting oil under the plug cover. I have replaced the Oil cap seal and the PCV was done at great expense this time last year (6000miles ago) by a garage i know and trust.

Am i going to have to do the PCV again or is there something i am missing?

As the car has 200000 miles on am i looking at something more tremimal?

Secondly
The rear of the car sinks quite low after it has been sat for a day, and struggles to regain its ride height unless it gets a good run, and yes it is fitted with Nivomats.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 19:04
When you say fumes in the cabin do you mean it smells funny?, if so then it could be the heater matrix is knackered. When they go you will get a strange smell but it's usually the antifreeze you can smell, check the carpet on the passenger side foot well, if its wet then it's a sure sign it's gone, also you'll probably get alot of moisture in the car when using the heaters. Not sure why you'd still have a smoking dipstick if you've had the PCV done, have you checked the dipstick/header tank itself for mayo?, could be the headgaskette. Failing that is it possible that the garage simply hasn't done the job properly?.

flyingbrick
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 20:02
I agree with TC on this. If your getting fume smells in the car and smoke from the dipstick then its the PCV or the bottom end has gone south mate. There are lots of breather hoses to replace when doing the PCV were these all replaced at the time mate. As for the rear suspension ye your nivomats have failed. Its cheaper to convert them to standard shocks and springs. It will not be as good as nivomats but will be a fraction of the cost.
Stick with it bud it will be all worth it in the end. I've bin there...LOL...
Its easy to get to the heater matrix three screws on the near side under the parcel shelf pull the carpet back and paneling and there it is.

Goodwood
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 20:36
Thanks for the responces.

The Fume smell in the car is like its fuel or exhaust gases? I have checked the heater matrix and that is fine, the carpets are bone dry. The garage assures me that all the hoses were replaced as per volvos requirements. How would i check if the bottom end is gone?

As for the Nivomats, i have a set of shocks for it (2nd hand) and a spare T5 sat outside the house that is very much a breaker. How do i tell if the spares car has nivomats or not, and if not what do i need off it to convert the (i will refrain from using good car?!!) non spares car?

Rufe
Tuesday 7th April 2009, 20:42
edit - didnt read post properly

flyingbrick
Wednesday 8th April 2009, 13:45
Standard shocks are about 2 inches thick nivomats are about 5 inches with tiny spring round them.

Bob France
Wednesday 8th April 2009, 22:23
I've just had same problem with fumes,found a loose hose [about 1 inch dia]leading to turbo actuator[I think]after doing some work, fixed in seconds and at no expense,phew!!
Perhaps worth a look?