PDA

View Full Version : I hope I don’t have an expensive turbo failure due

swordy21
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:00
Would be a perfect complement to my weekus horribulis

Coming out of Dover yesterday, I hoofed the old girl up a hill, past an Italian lorry hellbent on taking everyone out on roundabouts, Just after the boost spiked (just over 1.1bar), and the tranny changed up, I spotted a little puff of white smoke out the back of the car. Only once mind. Not being 100% sure of what I saw, I tried to replicate the occurrence but to no avail. So I put the thing down to the wastegate opening or the ECU shutting off the ignition for a fraction off a second. But now seeing another thread today, It may be that it picked up a bit of oil and blew it through the turbo oil seals as I was accelerating very hard uphill.

I have no other indications of problems, it does puff a little bit of white smoke on cold start up, but I put this down to a bit of oil seepage overnight down the valve stems etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? Or what to look out for? I haven’t fettled with my wastegate actuator yet (was going to but maybe not now, reading what has been said about detonation etc)

PS saw a couple of T5s in Kent – Silver one in Tesco Car Park at JN12 M20 @ 9.30. There was another one, but can’t remember where or when.

Cheers

nikgallagher
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:04
I thought that white smoke is water burning, and blue smoke is oil burning? Condensation collecting in the exhaust pipe overnight sometimes gives a bit of white smoke on start-up.

sammy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:06
Might have just been fuel. Mine does it when I'm driving it hard & change up, little puff of unburnt fuel pops out the back. Best time to see it happening is dusk.

But LOOK OUT WERE YOU'RE GOING! lol.

Sammy. x

Edited to say: Yes, I know unburnt fuel is brown-ish in colour, but sometimes it hard to tell when travelling, erm, swiftly. :pants:

swordy21
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:12
THX - The little puff, may have been blueish/white, difficult to tell as it was behind me and I was going forwards, only caught a glimpse in the rear view mirror.

Car has done nearly 128K now so I am going to try molyslip in the next oil change, see if that helps as well.

bigndaft
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:34
I saw a little puff once in the rear view mirror....he was driving a fiesta :sorry: ......couldn't resist... :hidesbehi

swordy21
Thursday 19th May 2005, 13:39
I saw a little puff once in the rear view mirror....he was driving a fiesta :sorry: ......couldn't resist... :hidesbehi

LOL - saw one just now as well - Focus C Max with those bling spinny wheel hub caps - how ridiculous is that?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 15:21
Check your radiator expansion tank - to make sure you dont have any oil/water mix.

GATHY
Thursday 19th May 2005, 19:34
whats wrong with puffs ? a puff recommend this site,he told me id fit in well with all the rest of the volvo driving puffs.lol :anmflower

swordy21
Thursday 19th May 2005, 21:45
Check your radiator expansion tank - to make sure you dont have any oil/water mix.

I know what you're getting at Dave. Just checked and Phew!!!! Coolant is devoid of all oil, and oil is devoid of all water. I do check at least weekly so pretty sure not the Big G.

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:28
I think the occasional "sneeze" is fine. So long as you are not trying to fog up Aldermaston.

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:35
Try getting someone to follow you, I know its not easy with a quick car but could be worth a try as they will get a better view than you ever could!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:48
Always ready to oblige!

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:54
After reading the other post, your car is now too quick so your not allowed!

swordy21
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:35
After reading the other post, your car is now too quick so your not allowed!

Yeah, he'll have to start so far behind to avoid taking my tail out he won't see anything anyway.

Checked this am as well and nothing, cars running very well if a little laggy on boost, but hey it's done 128K.

Dave - I recall you mentioned a 2.1 sec 60ft time (on your previous set up), how do you launch, as I couldn't get mine below 2.7? Not sure if it's the turbo taking time to spool up or the AT, but when it does go - it goes. My terminal speed is faster than that Drag time calculator suggests for a 1/4 at 15.00