PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is a high mileage autobox?

Hallsy
Monday 6th April 2009, 09:07
Right, so I'm quite happy that a high mileage engine is not likely to be a problem as long as it has been looked after.

Can the same be said of an autobox? Is it common for them to need overhauling?

I've seen a '96 850 T5 that's done 209k but has full service history (a lot of it Volvo), but being an auto I'm a little worried about the 'box failing. I have no problem working on/repairing cars, but ime repairing gearboxes, especially auto's can be expensive. I guess a 2nd hand one would be cheaper than repair.

Anything to look for? Do they clonk a little when cold, or should they change gear very smoothly?

I know my Sigma's autobox (178k) is a little clonky from cold, but once warm it is totally fine, and that's on a car that has had little care over the last few years.

dooby
Monday 6th April 2009, 10:20
Hiya,

I think the main signs are a clunk engaging 1st or reverse when setting off.

Basically, check the fluid level is OK, and the condition is good (red, translucent not black and opaque).

Not sure how much else you can test - maybe if it's a big investment get Volvo to read the codes, reset and go for a test drive then check that no new ones have reappeared?

Cheers, Pete

Hallsy
Monday 6th April 2009, 10:29
Is it easy to check the fluid level when viewing the car, or does it need to be jacked up?

The guy is not looking for much for the car, so this is swaying me, along with the 2 owners from new, full MOT and fsh.

209k is a bit high though, but then I don't really do many miles a year as it's a second (well, third) car.

jc850r
Monday 6th April 2009, 12:37
Hi Hallsy,
this is not exactly technical info but is a real world story so thought I would mention it anyway. My mate sold his T5 2 years ago for about £600 i think, with over 250,000 miles on the clock. It did have the torque convertor replaced at somepoint before he sold it but the car was generally abused (used as a delivery van) and had no oil/filter change for about the last 25000+ miles (think thats because it leaked though, so was getting topped up every other week ). Car was still going strong with no autobox problems.
Not sure of its service history before it ended up in my mates hands.

Oh...you can check the Autobox level using the dip stick on the right side of the car as you look in. Just under the pipe work behind the radiator. Is yellow handle I think - not looked at mine for ages.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 6th April 2009, 14:09
first choice would never touch another fwd auto as i got a hole in my anyway thats just my opinion based on experience. a total re-CON if you see my point 1s around £1600 more than the cars worth likely? yes you could go the 2nd hand route but if box is iffy when you put it in labour to take it out and try again?
i guess if you know the car/box then you could be lucky.
seems the most important thing is check the auto fluid for colour/burnt smelly nasty bits floating in oil. and dont top it up/change it for crap fluid my 95 t5 has dexron 3 seems this is the one to use.
for what it's worth autos are nice to drive no question especially in london traffic but if you got a heavy right foot and then maybe you make a few mods ie:- rica etc then and its just my opinion mostly from experience there is just to much going on in an auto box for the power these things can chuck out. Good luck whatever you choose Gareth

p.s. checking fluid is easy peasy just lift the bonnet and theres a yellow dipstick down and slightly to the right as you are looking at engine in between engine and rad

p.p.s. mine went pear shaped at 115,000 blokey said he'd never seen one so bad and although he could'nt 100% guarantee it he thought it was likely down to the ecu for the box going pearshaped dry joints n such. who knows?
just get a bleedin manual and choose yourself what gear you want ;-)

sport mode
economy mode
winter driving mode
traction control arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to much goin on

Johnny5
Monday 6th April 2009, 20:09
Mines got 142.000 miles behind it, and its smooth as the preverbial babys bum! ;)

dooby
Monday 6th April 2009, 21:04
Mine's on 135k miles and has been on track days, dyno days and drag strip days. The car's modified as well so it's running above-standard power.

I suspect as with everything there's a bit of luck involved but in my personal experience they certainly can cope with some proper driving (as opposed to shopping runs or grand touring).

HTH, Pete

AndysR
Monday 6th April 2009, 21:31
Mine's on 135k miles and has been on track days, dyno days and drag strip days. The car's modified as well so it's running above-standard power.

I suspect as with everything there's a bit of luck involved but in my personal experience they certainly can cope with some proper driving (as opposed to shopping runs or grand touring).

HTH, Pete

Good to know :)

Hallsy
Monday 6th April 2009, 22:05
Yep, good to hear mostly good reports :)

If I do go to view the car I'll check the history for regular changes, and check the dip.

cameron
Monday 6th April 2009, 22:52
My Auto has done 126k and it is still very smooth, even with the extra power from the HLM 304 :D

When i bought my car the guy didnt have any service history with it as it was a trade in, but a good check over and a nice long test drive i was sold :D

If you know what to look for then you'll be ok ;)

Ive since got a print out from Rufe which gives main dealer history up till 100k and everything else i got off the last owner after a bit of hassling him after getting his address of the V5.

Hallsy
Monday 6th April 2009, 23:31
I'm going to view tomorrow morning, this one has fsh up to 185k, mostly Volvo, so hopefully well looked after.

Trouble is, something else has caught my eye as well, over to the 70 series forum for that though ;)

Bob France
Monday 6th April 2009, 23:37
My old T5 auto [unmodified]is still going strong at nearly 200,000 miles and still changes as it it did when new,I kid you not!!! As I understand it the Volvo autobox is one of strongest out there and I don't see too many problems come up on the forum mechanically speaking,most people would like a bit more speed from the standing start, that seems to be the topic of most threads regarding autos!!! Good luck with yours.