PDA

View Full Version : Its the turning cirlce stupid! Well - possibly

jc850r
Saturday 4th April 2009, 23:25
Was just looking at this posting: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=736

which reminded me about the issue of fitting wider wheels, or even over sized tyres to the 850s.

Fitting 215/45s of one brand of tyre have previously rubbed through the plastic liner and also rubbed the inner arch just above the sub frame.
215/45s of another brand did not. So is all a bit hit and miss. Maybe a listing of successful tyre brands / sizes and wheel combinations would be good. I'd be more than happy to hear about owners experience in order that a list could be compiled unless this has been done by someone already...can I have it?

Anyway, I have also tried a set of 18" Team Dynamics wheels with 225/40s.
These wheels are defiantely a little wide for the 850 as they make considerable contact with the inner arch. This got me thinking how the later
V70R handle this size of wheel.
The V70R has an approx turning circle of 43ft. The 850 is approx 34 ft. So did Volvo reduced the turning circle of the V70R to accomodate wider wheels? Quite possibly.

So all that said, anybody ever actually fitted stops to reduce the turning circle on their 850? What did you do? - fit a block to the steering stop on the nuckle or to the back of the control arm. Details of any successful and safe modifications much appreciated.

Forgive me if this has been covered before, if so a link to the topic or whatever would do nicely.
Thanks.

t5 pete
Sunday 5th April 2009, 00:50
At the mo i have 205/50/17 michelinn and my bump stops have fallen off s$$t rivets i dont have any problems im due a new set of tyres i have a set of 215.46.17 waiting so ill let you know

Tomcat
Sunday 5th April 2009, 01:36
Apparently steering stops off a c70 help, oh and they fit on the control arm underneath.

jc850r
Sunday 5th April 2009, 20:15
Thanks for the info about the steering stops Tomcat..will take a look at that - determined to get a tad more rubber on the road.

Sounds like your tyre choice might be ok T5 Pete, i am currently running Potenza 215/45 on the rear and soft Champiro GT's of same size on front. I bought a full set of Potenza's but they rubbed the front so split them between the 2 cars in this configuration without rubbing problems.