PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes squealing! Arrrghhhhh

Johnny5
Friday 3rd April 2009, 19:22
:wallbash:

Any ideas how to cure squealing rear brakes???????

Just o/hauled everything, has genuine volvo rear pads and discs, plenty of copper slip on the edges and back of the pads.......

HHHEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP it driving me MAD! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 19:29
Have you got any shims in the rear if not put some in and copperslip them it that doesnt work try some non squeel shims they have a back coating on the side of them

cameron
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:12
Also try pushing the dust guard back ;)

Johnny5
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:30
Thanks guys, the pads do have a "sticky backing" if you can call it that???? although no metal shims in there..... Damn things drive me (and the neighbours) mad lol

Johnny5
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:42
P.S where do i get the shims from???? Are they a volvo only part????

cameron
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:48
This is a message i received off Rufe ( Simon )

Proper stand up bloke, quality service

REAR ANTI SQUEAL SHIM KIT:
Pn: 272272
Retail Price: £8.35 inc vat
Our Price: £7.09 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.14 Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded Delivery
Availability: Will be posted the same day if ordered by 1pm, call us on 01792 790066 if you wish to order.

Many thanks

Simon

Johnny5
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:54
Ur a star! Me thinks i be ordering one of them tomorrow! Cheers!

cameron
Friday 3rd April 2009, 20:58
No worries buddy :D

Not sure if Simon works Saturdays though.

Just tell them your off VPCUK if he's not there and they might still sort it out.

If not wait till Monday and he will deffo be there.

Johnny5
Friday 3rd April 2009, 21:26
Top job! tyvm

Rufe
Friday 3rd April 2009, 22:11
i'm not there again until monday mate, give me a call on monday before 4:30pm and they can be in the post on tuesday morning. it wont matter if you call up saturday or monday they wont be able to be dispatched until tuesday either way, so you will be better off talking to me directly on monday. (that looks like a pretty old quote above, so price may vary slightly, may be a little more or even a litte less perhaps, but couldnt say for sure)

Call me on 01792 790066 (mon to fri 9am to 5pm) if you wish to place an order :)

Simon

PaulZX
Friday 3rd April 2009, 23:26
Before you spend any real money, it's always worth (once checking the pads have enough thickness not to be changed). Whipping the wheel off, (both sides if nessecary), and spray some good degreaser over both sides of the brake disc, and the pads. I've had this problem on the wife's 806 and my T5, it's caused (mostly) by the person who last fitted brake pads, not copper greasing the parts they should have, (enough lol).

I used some Wurth's degreaser/brake cleaner on both cars, ad so far, touch wood, it's taken away the squeaking..... please, whatever you may think, DON'T use WD-40... :doh:

AlanG
Friday 3rd April 2009, 23:34
First time I changed my rear pads was told they are the same as VX Chevette front ones,you live and learn!!

PaulZX
Friday 3rd April 2009, 23:36
Call me on 01792 790066 (mon to fri 9am to 5pm) if you wish to place an order :)

Simon

number saved for future refernce/last-gasp-help/dancing-girls-with-volvo-catsuits

hope that's ok?

I'll delete it if yu want me to, I'm not the creepy "stalker-outside-yor-house" type, I might have a fetish for hyphens, but don't hold that against me, it's teh stella talking really, you've sussed that by now, I can tell, I'll stop.... http://www.t-six.com/images/smilies/Smilies2/ohnoes.gif

PaulZX
Friday 3rd April 2009, 23:41
dammit... more drunk thsn I thought... http://www.t-six.com/images/smilies/Smilies2/ohnoes.gif

AlanG
Friday 3rd April 2009, 23:45
Que??

Johnny5
Saturday 4th April 2009, 11:15
Simon.................. I WILL ring ya monday M8...... Nice 1. TYVM ;)

Jod T5
Saturday 4th April 2009, 23:41
I'm not the creepy "stalker-outside-yor-house" type, I might have a fetish for hyphens, but don't hold that against me, it's teh stella talking really, you've sussed that by now, I can tell, I'll stop.... http://www.t-six.com/images/smilies/Smilies2/ohnoes.gif

Very possibly...., however you have a highly irritatingly long signature. Why not try it on a horizontal format rather than vertical
Cheers
Jod

t5 pete
Sunday 5th April 2009, 00:43
can you give me the number for the volvo girls

t5 pete
Sunday 5th April 2009, 00:44

Tomcat
Sunday 5th April 2009, 01:45
Is this somewhere to post when your slightly enebriated(spelling!!), if it's not then this thread has gone off on one hell of a tangent!.... Hich!!.

Johnny5
Monday 6th April 2009, 20:12
Agreed Tomcat, thats a pretty big swerve from the original thread lol ;)

bigdavemaud
Monday 6th April 2009, 22:02
my bloody rear pads have just been squeeling did my head in to changed them and it still squeeld after degreasing and anit squeel wasnt impressed stripped em back out and found the spring metal held in by the pins was catching the disc opend it out abit and they stopped yey :bounce:
now the bloody front have started now :cussing:

Johnny5
Monday 6th April 2009, 22:07
It annoys me to the bone, but it must REALLY annoy my neighbours lol...... Only squeals at low speed from say 5mph to 0mph.... Im gonna get some anti-squeal shims from simon this week... Hopefully that will cure it once and for all! hehe

jka
Monday 9th November 2009, 11:02
Before you spend any real money, it's always worth (once checking the pads have enough thickness not to be changed). Whipping the wheel off, (both sides if nessecary), and spray some good degreaser over both sides of the brake disc, and the pads. I've had this problem on the wife's 806 and my T5, it's caused (mostly) by the person who last fitted brake pads, not copper greasing the parts they should have, (enough lol).

I used some Wurth's degreaser/brake cleaner on both cars, ad so far, touch wood, it's taken away the squeaking..... please, whatever you may think, DON'T use WD-40... :doh:

Thank you....had rear squeaking brakes for nearly nine months now. My garage always wanted to charge me a nice sum, saying they had to take brakes off etc etc £££. Squeeeling got really bad recently so followed your advice re degreaser and.... SILENCE.
JKA

Quicksilver
Monday 9th November 2009, 20:18
Mine had shims fitted when I first changed the rear pads but left them out as the new pads had anti squeal on the back, but the new pads squealed, so put the shims back(with the arrow in direction of wheel rotation) and they still squealed, and still do on the second set of pads and discs.

So I'm going to try the de-greaser thing and hope.