PDA

View Full Version : intercooler damage

wegal
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:45
Anyone had a problems with the intercoolers getting warped on P2 cars ? Mines just been for its service and I have been told that the intercooler is ballooned cos of the boost pressure. If this is the case there is no point putting a standard intercooler on it.

Anyone got any suggestions, to replace the intercooler with a genuine one will be about £500. Seems like a waste of timeif its going to do it again.

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:51
what pressure are you running

wegal
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 16:07
Dont really know its running an MTE stage 2 map, Ill guess between 1.2 and 1.4 bar but that is just a guess.

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 16:18
I have never even looked at a p2 intercooer but i have never heard of a p1 intercooler doing this with the rica map and 15-16 psi but if its £500 for a new one i would have a custom one made up

wegal
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 16:41
Who makes them ? been hunting the net and aftermarket units are bloody huge money and require tons of cutting of the body. Would an s60 R intercooler fit or is that the same unit, the R runs 300 bhp as standard so should handle the remap on a T5 ???

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 16:50
I honestly couldnt comment the best thing to do is ring volvo or ask rufe if there is any difference between your cooler and the s60 r one

AndysR
Friday 3rd April 2009, 00:26
Who makes them ? been hunting the net and aftermarket units are bloody huge money and require tons of cutting of the body. Would an s60 R intercooler fit or is that the same unit, the R runs 300 bhp as standard so should handle the remap on a T5 ???

There are two intercoolers on an S60R one between the radiator and air conditioning condensor this core measures 28 x 17 x 1/4 inches and a secondary smaller intercooler sits below the air conditioning condensor with a core size of 20 x 3.5 x 1.5 inches. I suspect the chances are the primary intercooler is the same as yours and if it is the same it is no surprise it is warped being as it is 1/4 of an inch thick! For the extra horses the R has Volvo added a secondary cooler to help with the temps.. Personally if you have wrecked one I would go for an uprated one rather than a new Volvo unit. ;)

doug kyle
Friday 3rd April 2009, 00:42
I've got this problem on a standard S80 D5 54 plate.
It's been like that for over 2 years now,
i bought the car from Volvo Arnold Clark Stirling,
like that & i've put about 30k on the clock since.
No problem's, but it's always at the back of my mind.
What if???? lol

Tim Williams
Friday 3rd April 2009, 08:58
Don should have a dircet bolt in Alloy intercooler for the P2 cars by now, if he hasn't kick his arse as he was ment to be test fitting it last month!