PDA

View Full Version : Fitted mushroom filter with a LOT of chatter

Dan850T5
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 13:53
Hey all,

Is it normal to get a lot of really loud chatter now i've fitted my mushroom filter with blanked off recirc valve and no bov?

I get a loud sucking noise on acceleration and loads of chatter when i lift off

Cheers,

Dan

callyuk
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:00
simple answer is yes

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQAYXfmhco

as already said yes, but i just love this video (same set-up as you, cone filter, no recirc or dump valve)

danny-R
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:26
sounds nice that like, how do you go about blanking re-circ off and is it necessary? i was just going to replace panel filter but after hearing that i want an induction kit, would this affect the running if you were stationary sucking in warm air? cheers

Baj
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:34
Sounds great but (genuine question) would blanking of recirc and not venting through a BOV be detrimental to the turbo?

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQAYXfmhco

as already said yes, but i just love this video (same set-up as you, cone filter, no recirc or dump valve)

How long have you had it set up like that the reason i ask is some people say its fine and some say its bad due to staling the compressor blades it would be good to finally get a proper answer for this my mates cossy chatters like mad and when he took his for tuning at gryham goude's or what ever hes called he said it was fine and nothing to worrie about and thats running 29-30psi.
pete

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:40
sounds nice that like, how do you go about blanking re-circ off and is it necessary? i was just going to replace panel filter but after hearing that i want an induction kit, would this affect the running if you were stationary sucking in warm air? cheers
forge motorsport do a blanking plate. As for the heat soak in theory yes, but i've ran many different air intake set-ups & my fastest time on the 1/4mile was done with an open cone filter (& thats with it sat running in the fire-up lane)

callyuk
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:44

blanking off the re-circ is not necessary at all but is easily done blanking plates can be bought from here

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMFK049

thats the complete kit but the blanking plate can be bought on its own.
as far as i know it will not cause running isses and havent knowen of it cause problems with the turbo although tat will be argued about

callyuk
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:46
sorry linked to the wrong kit here is the right one
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMFK050

or blanking plate on its own
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_168&products_id=4505

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:48
Sounds great but (genuine question) would blanking of recirc and not venting through a BOV be detrimental to the turbo?
see below

How long have you had it set up like that the reason i ask is some people say its fine and some say its bad due to staling the compressor blades it would be good to finally get a proper answer for this my mates cossy chatters like mad and when he took his for tuning at gryham goude's or what ever hes called he said it was fine and nothing to worrie about and thats running 29-30psi.
pete
the 19T & recirc blanking plate were fitted by Volvo on the 10/04/08, the car was took off the road a few months ago & running fine.

personally i don't think the boost is high enough to cause any problems, but i'm only a forklift driver so please don't take my word for it. I would also say with some other mods my 19T spools just as quick as my old 15G used to, even between gear changes with no extra lag noticable

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:59
cheers for that ped do you know what whp your car is producing with the 19t and what injectors do you use

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:13
cheers for that ped do you know what whp your car is producing with the 19t and what injectors do you use
no problem mate say its all just my personal opinion tho so not 100%. I haven't had a reliable rolling road figure done yet, i'm still on the standard orange injectors but they are hitting 99.7% duty on WOT so they need changing :eek:

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:19
will you be fitting the green or white injectors the only reason i ask what your making with the 19t is because im buying one and then when im back to work i can start on my project a 240 t5

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:30
will you be fitting the green or white injectors the only reason i ask what your making with the 19t is because im buying one and then when im back to work i can start on my project a 240 t5
i'll probably go straight for the biggest (can't remember if thats green or blues :slap:)

the rolling road i had done admitted they were having trouble getting a proper reading because of it not wanting to grip. That was done with the 19T, S60R manifold, 3" downpipe, no exhaust, standard reverse flow pipework, stock ECU & only running 10psi
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/55fb0b52f1.jpg

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 15:50
So you definatly need to change the injectors i geuss. the set up i will be having will be a 19t green/blue injectors im wanting 20psi if the 19t if cabale of using that a custom exhaust as i will have the room with turning the engine round the other way and a 3" straight throught exhasts and either one or two boxes and a damm good map im wanting over 300whp do you think its is achievebale with a set up like this as i have never done much reaserch on the 19t

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 18:31
So you definatly need to change the injectors i geuss. the set up i will be having will be a 19t green/blue injectors im wanting 20psi if the 19t if cabale of using that a custom exhaust as i will have the room with turning the engine round the other way and a 3" straight throught exhasts and either one or two boxes and a damm good map im wanting over 300whp do you think its is achievebale with a set up like this as i have never done much reaserch on the 19t
tbh i don't know much about the 19T's limits myself, my 15G used to run 20psi so the 19T should easily be capable of the same & give out more power because of the cooler air. I do think better con-rod would be a good idea to add to the list

PaulZX
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 19:05
I think we might just find out the cusp for conrods this summer.....

It'll go summat like this.,...

Me: "watch this"

pedro: "I wouldn't m8"

Me: lmao this goes well....BANG! awwshucks :(

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 19:39
I think we might just find out the cusp for conrods this summer.....

It'll go summat like this.,...

Me: "watch this"

pedro: "I wouldn't m8"

Me: lmao this goes well....BANG! awwshucks :(
i've still got plenty of plans for your car so can't blow it up just yet lol

PaulZX
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 20:02
well she's in the garage now, ready for rip apart....

tax is up, so it's sorn for a month...

p fandango
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 20:30
well she's in the garage now, ready for rip apart....

tax is up, so it's sorn for a month...
i'll come round & see you soon then & start getting some plans together :dgrin:

PaulZX
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 20:31
job done

/thread hijack complete....

apols

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 22:54
tbh i don't know much about the 19T's limits myself, my 15G used to run 20psi so the 19T should easily be capable of the same & give out more power because of the cooler air. I do think better con-rod would be a good idea to add to the list

Oh yes the con rods are a must

Dan850T5
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 23:56
haha no probs for thread hilack. Reminds me il pm you back in a sec fridgemover man.

p fandango
Friday 3rd April 2009, 14:12
Oh yes the con rods are a must
might as well fit a ME7 crank as well then :shifty:

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 14:15
might as well fit a ME7 crank as well then :shifty:

Is there problems with the 850 t5 crank handleing over 300whp

p fandango
Friday 3rd April 2009, 14:35
Is there problems with the 850 t5 crank handleing over 300whp
no but the ME7 one is lighter, & might as well fit one while you've got the engine split to fit the con-rods

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 15:15
Ah i get what you mean i just have to find one as it would be point less buying a full engine or was that a hint that youve got one lol

p fandango
Friday 3rd April 2009, 15:22
Ah i get what you mean i just have to find one as it would be point less buying a full engine or was that a hint that youve got one lol
no its on my "to get" list as well

t5 pete
Friday 3rd April 2009, 15:29
Ill keep an eye out for one but i honestly think its gunna be pretty hard to find one with buying the engine