PDA

View Full Version : Big thanks to Hamish and Adam @ VT

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 00:45
Rayanna has gone ballistic.
Some already knew so thanks for giving me the time to get the job done and remaining quiet.
I am now the proud owner of one of the fastest AT 850R this side of chistendom, mainly thanks to the insertion of RICA Stage 2. I have a 19T, ferrita race cat and a custom remap.

I would like to say a HUGE thanks to Hamish and Adam and all the staff at VT for their stirling work.

They are worth their weight in donuts!

She runs 251bhp at the wheels and 242ft pounds of torque.

There were a few minor issues along the way but thanks to VT's diligent efforts and consumate professionalism (<-wow! big word that) these were resolved with the minimum of wobblyness. Shame the same cannot be said of me!! LOL
Tuning an Auto is no easy task. There are some nasty spikes in the boost between gearchanges which are not present on a manual.

The useful/useable speed range (0 - 100) even from rest is astronomical.

I am of course very skint now - so if you know anyone that needs a 15G or the ABS ECU repaired - now would be a good time.

Obviously there will be a weight of expectation on me to do well when it comes to the 1/4 but I really didnt do it for that reason. As such if I fail to meet expectation then I am really not that bothered. I think I should avoid feeling that I should be beating everyone.

She is and always was a road car, not a track day monster. Just now, she is a very loud and very quick road car. I am learning over how to get the best out of her and the box. It is not as simple as it was with the 15G, but ultimately more rewarding.

Sadly this is the end of the line in terms of tuning. I am off now to ride into the sunset, leaving a trail of unhappy BMW drivers in my wake.

DaveS60D5
Thursday 19th May 2005, 01:17
Congrats oh wobbly one!

So do I get a go??! :) :firedevil

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 01:39
Thanks Dave.

For those that are interested here is a before and after plot - with my 15G making about the same as it did on the RR day (220whp)

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/wobblydave.jpg

Please bear in mind that the BCS was replaced after this and the plot gets even flatter, especially the torque - i.e. more power right the way across from 4k rpm and there was a small airleak which has now been fixed.

Interestingly enough, Hamish said he taped up the bottom of my drilled airbox between identical, consequetive dyno runs and gained 3 - 5 horsepower by NOT having a swiss-cheese box. I think the jury is still out on that Mod and maybe it doesnt work/not as critical for the larger flow on the 19T.

vt5
Thursday 19th May 2005, 06:55
Dave im booked in at VT monday morning at about 10am to get mine checked over, do you live nearby and are you around or workng?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th May 2005, 08:48
Glad to hear it all went well (in the end)! :B_steerin

x

fraz13
Thursday 19th May 2005, 09:47
Wooohooooo :eclipsee_ :rice: Thats good news mate, glad your a happy camper now, Al look forward to for that wee shot in Scotland now :D

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 09:53
Dave im booked in at VT monday morning at about 10am to get mine checked over, do you live nearby and are you around or workng?
I can try and make it down for lunch time. Remind me on Monday - 07801 347 993.

Murphy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 09:53
You sly devil ;)

Glad you are happy with your choice mods :)

i think a few in car vids and pics are required :)

P.S Let me know when you are a few junctions north on the m1 !

chriskay
Thursday 19th May 2005, 10:24
:bow_kneel
What more is there to say?

lance
Thursday 19th May 2005, 10:35
Nice one Dave!
A mini meet is called for soon dude, as I really need to see how a 19t performs b4 I wear my turbo out!
Well done mate!

Andy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 10:46
So you went ahead with it in the end dave :D nice one mate....

im still shaking from when you had a play with that motorbike (on the runway, remember?!? :lol: ) that was ballistic acceleration then, got only knows what its like now.

Andy

SaffronC70
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:08
Hey Dave, we need to start an exclusive 19T club, hehe !

Enjoying the continuosly increasing power up into the rev range ?

Chris

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:24
The map has to be somewhat different to that of the manuals. The boost spikes between changes are difficult to "tune" around.

Murphy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:27
As i said dave - junction 29 - chesterfield ;)

I gotta know what this girl is like.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:30
As i said dave - junction 29 - chesterfield ;)

I gotta know what this girl is like.
Red and very quick - LOL

Justin
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:46
And sounds like a Harrier jump jet when the taps are wide open too :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 15:19
I love tunnels even more now!

vt5
Thursday 19th May 2005, 19:22
:wink: I will give you a bell Dave but dont go to any great trouble if your busy....

mulletboy2
Thursday 19th May 2005, 22:05
Dave - you, me, saturday... Need a ride in that wobblymobileİ please :D

siamblue
Thursday 19th May 2005, 22:31
I love tunnels even more now!

Nice one Dave, Glad you got it sorted, Lots of big grins through the Brum tunnels now :)

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:15
Sounds good Dave :B_steerin

Redbrick
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:16
How does it compare? :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:45
Nice one Dave, Glad you got it sorted, Lots of big grins through the Brum tunnels now :)
Queensway tunnel is a particular fav. You don't need to go too quick to get the roar! Still it is even more angry now! GRrr!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:01
How does it compare? :)I am not stupid enough to state that it is as quick as yours.
You have 30 bhp on me. The power delivery though low down is very quick indeed - but you need to dial it in right or it bogs a bit - still learning.
As the auto tends to not spin up quite so much I think that their would not be much in it at all - having said that you have the Racelogic Traction control/launch. Power delivery is still very usuable and smooth. I am somewhat less worried about the boost gauge as it is a completely new ball game with the 19T and the 15G rules just don't apply.

Once she is going though it is brown trouser time. I am still learning how to get the best out of her. I have hit the rev limiter (now set at 7K) a few times - oops! whilst trying to use the low range.

I am on the limit of what the box can do really - so in that respect the MT will be quicker at the top end, I think - though side by side it would indeed be an interesting contest.

The acceleration from 70 to 120 is astounding. I havent found the right stretch of airfield ;) to find out.

The normal speed thing 30 - 90 is so quick now - if you blink you miss it. 0 - 60 has yet to be timed accurately - but it must be very close to 5 seconds.

Sadly this is as far as I can take the car as it stands.

lance
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:49
Sounds fab mate

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 00:53
Well done dave, excellent choice, enjoy the noise! I enjoyed that more than the speed most of the time.

70-120 is astounding in an auto, 90 to 146 in 4th on a manual was mental, not tried an auto with that set up but as you say would be an interesting comparison.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 01:09
I will never be as fast as a C70**, period. They are possessed. Plus they are lighter and more aerodynamic.

As yet I have not been able to do any like for like comparison with a manual version. I have been in Redbricks car... (making 1.3 bar)

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/boost.jpg

and without doubt it is THE fastest T5 I have been in yet - although for some reason I have never yet been in a C70.

One thing to bear in mind is that these high top end speeds are very naughty and I rarely ever use them. Maybe 6 times since I have owned the car?
However I am curious to know where the end is? I know she reached ~180 mph on the dyno - flat out.
The real world speeds are what count - wouldnt you agree?

**with an equivalent upgrade

Mrsmopp
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:09
The real world speeds are what count - wouldnt you agree?

**with an equivalent upgrade

Wholeheartedly!

x

Redbrick
Friday 20th May 2005, 09:22
Glad your lovin it dave ;)

Indeed I think an auto would be truely bonkers, can't wait to experience it.

Nice photo! Can't work out if my boost guage is accurate, looks to be 0.1 bar out. What do you think?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 10:50
BSR gauges in my experience are not that accurate. I am looking to put in a new one. And yes it is bonkers.

lance
Friday 20th May 2005, 10:58
180 mph on rollers must mean 170-175mph on the road! :jaw:

If shes limited to 7k rpm what she doing at 3.5 rpm in top!
Im sure your Auto is slightly higher geared in top , so maybe it will go quite a bit faster than a manual Flat out!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th May 2005, 11:04
3500rpm in top - she does about 90mph. I think that wind resistance will see a much more substantial loss than 5 mph. Not that I am ever gonna go that quick.

lance
Friday 20th May 2005, 11:09
I bet 170 mph then, If you Dare I know I probably wouldnt

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 11:45
When mine was done it was limited to 6800rpm i think but running 1.3 bar aswell, I know top end speeds were naughty and I only ventured about 120 on a few occasions and this was a couple of years back when cameras and traffic cops were non existent in my area! Shame their like ££££ now, every where.

Anyway mine went off the clock one night obviously on that road trip to Germany I went on and it was still pulling alot but I got scared, the gps thing was in the car at the time and that showed 162mph but no idea what it would have gone to.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 22:59
I was having issues with the high top end on Friday. Boost dropped of in 4th for no good reason.

And you wanna know why?....

Coz I am Wobbly.

Thing I didn't know about - to my shame was this thing with the kick down button. There is a button which feels like the throttle stop - in fact its a button at the end of the accelerator pedal (beyond the hinge) which tells the Auto ECU "I wanna kick down" and according to Adam (thanks again mate) is what allows me to continue with the boost - otherwise I don't get full WOT. :slap:

So here I am thinking there is somut wrong when it is actually the "BIG NUT BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL" :bricks:
Am I supposed to know what I am doing or what?

After_Shock
Sunday 22nd May 2005, 23:01
See your going to pot ever since you changed your name!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th June 2005, 01:15
here is a pic of the 19T. Wonderous!

spesh
Saturday 4th June 2005, 18:46
Here you go every one the is the same model turbo and similar down pipe that Dave has on his car. Pics ain't to great!!