PDA

View Full Version : Omg.......hlm 304

Rob S
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:09
I know there have been lots of posts about the whole mapping and ECU issues recently, but I decided to bite the bullet after a little encouragement (Andy, Alan and Lee:wave23d:) and can honestly say I'm blown away.

Let alone less than 24hrs after buying it over the phone, it arrived on my doorstep, but the whole process has been ushered along by Hamish very smoothly.

I am a firm believer in reserving judgement till you've dealt with someone, and now I'm very glad I called him!

I won't go on for ever, as I know many people have already partaken, but for the uniniated, be prepared for your luxury lounge on wheels to go into Warp speed, star trek style! There's a noticeable extra surge from about 2000 rpm, and to be honest, by 4500rpm, I'd changed up. I am no hurry to stick the car in a ditch, and will allow myself to get acclimatised to the increased performance. It's nice knowing, I go faster if I wanted too, and sometimes that's enough.
Very very amusing.:hail: the humble T5.

t5 pete
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:13
Yep theres one thing every one gets from getting it done A MASSIVE SMILE

Saaamon
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:15
It appears you do get quite smile from a rica, more than what i can say about ***.

AndysR
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:22
Good to hear your pleased with your new purchase, just go easy they accumulate speed rather easily....:eclipsee_

t5 pete
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:27
It appears you do get quite smile from a rica, more than what i can say about ***.

Whats the end bit mean?

Dan850T5
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:28
how much was that then pal?

t5 pete
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:28
I think hamish does them for £150

cameron
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:39
You see i told you didnt i :B_thumb:

Enjoy matey

Rob S
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:41
As discussed, £150, with £100 on top until I return my old one.

Chad
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:46
glad your happy with it mate. I had mine done from Hamish a few years back, and it still puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it.

AlanG
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:45
Think I said you wouldn't be disappointed!! Good choice. Had a chance to drive mine sedately (wasn't easy) and according to my info centre thingy,I've gained an average of 3mpg. Not bad for such a powerful car. Ave is now 31mpg......Happy chappy.

Babybadger
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:58
.....it's like the hand of god comes down from the sky and pushes the car along like a 3 year old pushes a matchbox car across a big floor........

AndysR
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 00:27
.....it's like the hand of god comes down from the sky and pushes the car along like a 3 year old pushes a matchbox car across a big floor........

Must be to say it twice..lol :)

T5arrrgghh
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 00:36
is 200,000 miles too old for one of these? she gets an oil change every 4k and has a massive history and seems to have been loved alot.
I phoned russ at rt when i got it and he knew alot about the car and said it was a good motor... just worried she might **** a chicken with the jump in power.

She gets a stage 0 and pcv overhaul next week and just wonder whether this might be a good time? oh and yes i have a heavy foot but not all the time

PaulZX
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 01:00
I'm thinkin about a remap once I get the bits in my sig done, but I'm gonna try a rolling road setup, and see how that goes first....

t5 pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:37
is 200,000 miles too old for one of these? she gets an oil change every 4k and has a massive history and seems to have been loved alot.
I phoned russ at rt when i got it and he knew alot about the car and said it was a good motor... just worried she might **** a chicken with the jump in power.

She gets a stage 0 and pcv overhaul next week and just wonder whether this might be a good time? oh and yes i have a heavy foot but not all the time

I would say it puts a little more stress on the components but at the end of the day it depends on how you drive your car if you thrape it all day every day it wont last as long as a car that is driven steady IMHO i would get it done what ever the age/milage some people say they have had a good improvement in mpg so its worth doing it for that alone and if you feel the need to put your foot down you know the power is always there.
pete

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:57
Good stuff Rob, I didn't realise you'd bit the bullet so soon!!

Am I right in thinking that these are HLM maps rather than Rica, I'm sure I read somewhere that HLM is no longer a registered Rica dealer, and so these would be his own map?

Big Pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 16:06
Apparently old Rica re-map stock, but who really knows and really cares, after them the cars wake up from the dead!

Every 850 turbo owner shoudl get it done, if you change the oil/filter every 6 months or every 12 months then it shoudl be fine, after all you don't thrash the car like you would on a race track so..........

Most people get improved MPG around town and on the motorway. I used to get 17mpg around town and 33mpg on the motorway in my 850R, now I get 22mpg town and 36mpg motorway.

Also you really need to use super unleaded 99octain petrol once the map is done, either get this from Tesco (99 Super Unleaded) or Shell (V-Power Unleaded). In the 850R Volvo recommend 98 minimum anyhow. If you run 95 you generally get a lot less miles per tank and under full throttle the engine can/normally suffers from bad knocking as mine did when I got the HLM done.

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 16:14
I had heard that, but wasn't sure.

As for the 'who cares' comment, I think I would. If I 'thought' I was buying a proven Rica map, but was actually getting something different I'd be a little concerned, and not totally happy until it had been on the rollers and had fuelling, etc checked.

I'm not at all saying that is the case here, just that I disgaree with your comment on 'who cares' :)

I'll definately be giving HLM a ring when I (finally) get hold of a T5 :)

t5 pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 16:24

As for the 'who cares' comment, I think I would. If I 'thought' I was buying a proven Rica map, but was actually getting something different I'd be a little concerned, and not totally happy until it had been on the rollers and had fuelling, etc checked.

I'm not at all saying that is the case here, just that I disgaree with your comment on 'who cares' :)

Hamish offers any one who gets the 304 to go on the dyno for a extra charge Hes a memember on her is you have a question send him a pm

Big Pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 19:01

The argument on this has been gone over and over on every forum it seems as I'm sure you know, I'm not starting another just I feel people generally seem to like the HLM map regardless if its official Rica or not. If you want a cheap re-map go for this, if you want 100% Official Rica go to a Rica dealer. I just think for the HLM price I can't really see how anyone can complain, it works, seems to be proven to increase bhp, so just think myself it doesn't bother me so don't really care on the officialness (is that a word!?). If people are still unsure about whether it is official Rica after speaking to Hamish at HLM then just go for the Official Rica route.

As "T5 pete" says he has rolling road there, I had mine done and on their rolling road, they sorted out some issues with the pipes that the past owner had messed around with and will do a before and after so you definatly know, regardless if it is 100% correct on BHP figures compared to others.

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 19:07
Yeah, that's cool guys, I was just saying, in general, unless very well reputed, it would always be advisable to have a map checked out on a rolling road if unsure.

I can't agree more though, £150 is a great price for a remap, and have heard good things about HLM.

Is it true about what has been said though, that on a std 15G turbo any map is only good for around 250-260bhp, and any excess boost will add to EGT temps, which isn't a good thing.

Am I right in saying that if a 16T is used, then a little more power is to be expected? Is the 304 map suitable for either 'out of the box'?

t5 pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 19:22
On the manchester r/r day tom cats t5r with the hlm made 260something with good tourqe

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 20:10
Sounds about right for what I'd been told. 16T was first used on P1 V70 right, or did the 850R's have them?

Rob S
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 20:18
Going back to the "is it genuine" question, it's got a RICA sticker on it, and drives really really well. Thats good enough for me!

Hallsy
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 21:15
Sounds good mate, as has been said, it's something that has been discussed fairly extensively on some Volvo forums, so I was just asking the question :)

woz
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 14:20
is 200,000 miles too

had mine done with a RICA 280 at HLM at 168k - now at 209k and running fine. I use the power every chance I get - it remains a great A road tool!

Recently having a bit of a misfire on 95 RON which I did not get in the early days, but getting injectors cleaned and the an RR session to get to the bottom of it. Usual dealer service not much good for those sort of diagnostics without a road test.;>)

Advice: Get a full health check done before a remap regardless of mileage. HLM found a broken rubber boost elbow and weeping water pump on mine which could have proved fatal later - that could have occurred on any motor over 50k. It does out extra stress on the motor, and they are well up to it provided they are fit for purpose.

orse
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 17:00
Hallsy in answer to your question i believe that the 850 r manuals had 16t's on them.I'm almost positive.Cant wait to get my 850r down there for the remap just waiting on few things to sell and then i can get it and the splitter from tomcat :)

T5arrrgghh
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 19:35
Ordered my 304 today geez i am excited! other stuff to get ordered on monday citing times!

t5 pete
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 22:57
Ordered my 304 today geez i am excited! other stuff to get ordered on monday citing times!

You wont be dissapointed

Babybadger
Friday 3rd April 2009, 00:06

Like a new set of front tyres if no TRACS......good luck and enjoy.....

AndysR
Friday 3rd April 2009, 00:09
Hallsy in answer to your question i believe that the 850 r manuals had 16t's on them.I'm almost positive.

Yes this is correct ;)