PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Emissions

cameron
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:05
I had the car Pre-Mot'd today

Only thing it failed on was the CO levels @ 0.49, the limit is 0.20

Ive replaced the sparkies, the PCV and hoses @ the oil and filter and its still slightly to high.

The natural idle is ok, its just on the fast idle between 2500 - 3000 rpm.

Could it be the map thats fueling it too much or maybe the cat is faulty :confused:

Adam @ Readview says the CAT sounds Hollow :mad111:

Any ideas guys, MOT time in 2 weeks

t5 pete
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:17
Hi lee i would dought it would be the map as when there doing the emissions test the turbo isnt boosting requiring more fuel.
I would geuss that the cat is the problem but have you tryed pulling a vac line before the test by pulling the vac line it should throught the lamba light on and lean the car out i know i once took the car for a mot with the lamba light on and the emmisions were extreamly low

cameron
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:22
Im just trying all the bases mate :)

Which vac line pete ?

I remembered somebody suggesting that.

t5 pete
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:26
Either the boost or acuator if that doesnt throw the light on take a intercooler hose off the hot side and start the car

cameron
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 21:33
Do you mean this one Pete ?

The Blue hose running across the piccy to the actuator.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/ForgeDV3.jpg

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:20

Ive replaced the sparkies, the PCV and hoses @ the oil and filter and its still slightly to high.

Could it be the map thats fueling it too much or maybe the cat is faulty :confused:

Forte injector cleaner marvellous stuff bout £12 a can.

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:26
If the cat is knackered then no amount of tinkering will get it to pass the MOT, can Adam not provide you with another at a reasonable price?.

850twr
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:10
be carefull if you remove that blue pipe and plan to drive it. she'll boost her way to an early grave!

p fandango
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:25
removing the actuator pipe will make no difference to the emmissions at all & as mentioned will remove any control of the turbo, & as you've got a remap i would bet the air mass limit has been removed/raised from the ECU so stand a good chance of bending a con-rod

so please don't touch (especially remove) than pipe

t5 pete
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 14:29
I didnt mean drive the car i said start the car up to throw the light on i sould have said start the car but dont drive it and then reconnect the pipe.
It wont solve the problem but its worht a try to get it through the mot and i would think with lee working at the garage he is getting these emmision tests free before the mot so if it doesnt work hes lost nothing has he.
pete

cameron
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 18:17
Cheers guys

Tried it today :(

Just the same 0.49 reading :(

Looks like its the cat, second hand £80 + Postage :mad111:

Send donations to leeisdesperate@notmottimeagain.com :D

5seaterT5x2
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 19:17
Cheers guys

Tried it today :(

Just the same 0.49 reading :(

Looks like its the cat, second hand £80 + Postage :mad111:

Send donations to leeisdesperate@notmottimeagain.com :D

would'nt a dose of forte or similar be worth a shot? darn sight cheaper if it works? fingers crossed one of mine is going in tomorrow ;-/

cameron
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 20:36
I'll give the Forte a bash if i can muster up the money for it.

I'll be raiding the copper jar tonight :B_thumb:

Mental Wealth Doctor
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 22:21
have you tryed getting the cat really warm b4 the test, Know this is ment to help .
there u go thats my donation

cameron
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 22:35
Cheers Mate :D

Yeah i took it a good run, Oldham - Bacup return trip think its about 25 - 30 miles.

Its motorway all the way so cruising at 70 - 80.

Adam at Readview said the cat sounds hollow so im on the lookout for a secondhand good nick DP with Cat :D

cameron
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 00:21
Quick Q

Are all 850 T5 standard exhausts the same, i.e. 94 / 95 / 96 ?

Cheers

Its just that im on the lookout for a good 2nd hand DP and CAT so i really need to know before i buy the wrong thing ;)

Tomcat
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 09:18
If your talking about the downpipe then no, they're not all the same. The flange that fits onto the turbo is different, there's a straight flange and a conical one, fraid I can't tell you which is which though.

cookie
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 10:56
It may be the cat - but plenty of T5's get through MOT's well below 0.2 after a DeCat

I would look for air leaks on pipework to the FPR causing over fuelling - has economy dropped recently (or always been poor) - do you have the computer telling MPG etc - steady 70 on a motorway should show 30+ MPG easily - if it's low 20's then you got a fueling problem.

Just chucking a cat on it may just temp mask a different problem (and if its a split hose a few pence to fix.)

cameron
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 18:40
Ive just had a load of hoses done cookie :D

Im prety sure if there was anything else needed doing Adam @ Readview would have said.

The mpg figures sat @ 70mph are about 34 - 35 and about 20 round town.

I'll have a proper good look tomorrow though. :B_thumb:

cameron
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 18:42
As for the Dp onto the turbo flange how will i know which it is or is it a case of taking the little blighter off ?

I really dont want to go to all the hassle of taking it off just to find out ive bought the wrong one :(

cameron
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 20:10
Anybody Please :confused:

cameron
Thursday 2nd April 2009, 20:18
TC if your there is this what you meant by a " conical end " ?

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/cameron793/0000001.jpg

Babybadger
Friday 3rd April 2009, 00:08

Sounds like you should clean the injectors..... ;-) It sounds like there is too much unburnt fuel getting through past the cat to give that reading, one way of this is uneven injector fueling, does it sound slightly lumpy at tickover? .... How many miles on the clock?

Also wouldn't taking the air filter out make the car run leaner as well? Just for the MOT I mean....

dooby
Friday 3rd April 2009, 14:33
Hi Lee,

what year is your 850 T5? The later ones should have a TD04HL-15G with a straight flange I believe.

I have a 2nd hand downpipe/cat I took off my 850R auto (also a 15G straight flange turbo)? Not trying to tread on Adam from Readview's toes, but I bet I need the space in my shed more than he needs the space in his warehouse/workshop :-)

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers, Pete

Jod T5
Saturday 4th April 2009, 23:51
Would appear to be a air leak lee...,
Over richness at part throttle....
Possable areas, inlet manifold elbow behind power steering pump or split in inlet piping...
HTH
Jod

timbo_1975
Sunday 5th April 2009, 11:45
What injectors is the car running? Standard, or larger? May be a mis-match between ecu and injectors???

The ecu would probably be able to compensate at idle via the o2 sensor within its +/-10% window, but may not be able to at fast idle...

Just a thought..

cameron
Sunday 5th April 2009, 17:18
Standard injectors and standard everything else :sorry:

Just the PCV replaced and all the associated hoses, an oil filter and oil change with Castrol GTX.

timbo_1975
Sunday 5th April 2009, 17:33
Hmmmmmmmmmm. As others have said, you should be able to pass the emissions with no cat fitted really- they are usually very clean..

Are you sure its warming up properly to full temp?

Other than that, looks like you may have to create a small leak to lean it a tad ??