PDA

View Full Version : Towbar Wiring connections

Alan M
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 20:50
Does anyone know what wires to splice into for wiring up a tow bar on an 850 if not using a wiring kit from Volvo? If you could tell me where to connect the towbar wiring to I would appreciate it.

simpT5
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:41
The loom runs down the near side under the floor/carpet, all required wires for 12n wiring can be tapped into there. I would strongly recommend the use of a bulb failure bypass relay though so as not to overload the bulb failure control unit, the increased current draw from your towing electrics can cause them to get hot and damaged pretty quickly, more so if you are towing a caravan with extra side marker lamps!

Sometimes if you're lucky, you will find a grey or black multiplug behind the near side rear lower lamp cover, this is where you would plug your oem Volvo electrical kit into and will also have all the wires you're looking for in one convienient place, its just a case of probing each wire with a 12v test lamp or multimeter untill you find what you are looking for, 12n 7 pin wiring colour codes are as follows :

1) Yellow - LH indicator
2) Blue - fog lamp
3) White - Earth/negative
4) Green - RH indicator
5) Brown - RH side light
6) Red - Brake lights
7) Black - LH sidelights

Hope this helps...

Alan M
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 07:50
Thanks for the reply. What I was after are the wiring colours for the the Volvo loom. I have belled out the connectors to the light clusters but would like to make sure via someone elses car/diagram just to make sure what I have found is correct.

Alan M
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 13:57
All done now.