PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Loss

matt_850
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 00:00
Hey guys,

Ive got a 95 855 T-5 with tracs and recently ive been losing brake fluid and the red "Brake circuit failure" light has been on. I top it up with fluid and it goes away for a while, then comes back after the fluid drops below the required level. My braking doesnt change, pedal stays the same etc.

A mechanic, not my mechanic cause ive moved, is saying its leaking from the pump and that i need a whole new ABS pump. Im not inclined to believe him.
But in saying that i dont know what else it would be.
The ABS light isnt coming on on the dash just the circuit failure cause im low on fluid.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

AlanG
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 00:07
Like any car,start at the beginning. Check behind each wheel for dampness. It has to show somewhere. There is obviously a leak. All 850's are discs all round which makes problems like yours easy to diagnose.

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 00:10
Leaking ABS pumps is a common problem on the earlier cars, mine has the same problem, at the moment I just top it up as and when it needs it. All though I know it's not the solution it has been getting through the MOT each time so until I can afford to fork out for a new one I'll just put up with it.

AlanG
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 00:59
Fluid leak must be evident somewhere. No conclusion till there is a leak found. Don't condem a very expensive part as a matter of course. Be methodical. Today's braking systems don't much differ from days of old.

PaulZX
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 01:08
I have the same issue, but after many searches up on ramps, and under the engine bay, me and my mechanic, Andy, who is well up on T5's after working under the bonnet of old bill cars for 8 years, cannot find the leak. I top up every six months from minimum level.

Always been a head scratcher.....

AlanG
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 01:36
Common sense tells it's goin somewhere. Goin through the memory vaults I can rememember one filling up it's servo. Keep looking and ye shall find!!

orse
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 13:03
Just a thought but if a leak is not evident on the brake side of things,could expand the search to the clutch,as this is hydraulic also i believe,and runs of the same resevoir as the brakes.As previously said these systems are sealed so in theory should never need filling up dramaticly unless a leak has developed.

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 13:10
From memory it's defo something to do with the ABS pump, as someone had to buy one from the states a while back to replace his own with the same fault. This is a recognised fault, however it only applies to the earlier cars, the system was changed from 96 onwards.

PaulZX
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 14:19
so I'm right on the cusp mine's a september 96 P plate

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 14:22
Nah, yours'll be fine, it only effects the 95 and earlier cars.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 19:38
From memory it's defo something to do with the ABS pump, as someone had to buy one from the states a while back to replace his own with the same fault. This is a recognised fault, however it only applies to the earlier cars, the system was changed from 96 onwards.

I know Lee had to get one from the states, he changed it on mine. Don't know the reason though, I thought it was because the ABS light was staying on.

matt_850
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:00
Its definately leaking from somewhere near the pump. I was hoping it might just need something tightening or a new hose or something, but i havent been able to have a proper look around at it yet.
In regards to the comment about the clutch. Mine is an Auto, not being a smart ass, but could this be affected in an auto, cause my trans has been behaving a bit wierd, (not going into gear properly sometimes) but the trans fluid level hasnt changed.

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:28
As far as your autobox goes what colour is the fluid?, has it been changed recently?. If it's not then it's probably worth changing it, it should certainly help the gear selection problems. I'm pretty sure that who ever it was who bought the replacement ABS pump also tried to get it repaired and couldn't( at least not for a reasonable cost).

matt_850
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:36
It hasnt been changed for a while. Ill have a crack at that. Ive also now finally found access to a full workshop, hoist etc so ill put it up there over the weekend and have a look at what the go is with the pump. there were comments that the post 1996 ones have a different system that doenst have these problems. How different is the system and how difficult would it be to change it over to the newer system if i could get one.

Thanks for all the replys too. Very few ppl know anything about volvos in Australia.

Tomcat
Tuesday 31st March 2009, 23:51
Pretty sure that it would be a mamoth job to switch to the newer system as the wiring is all different, sad really as it would have been a big help if they where interchangeable.

matt_850
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 01:13
Yeah i thought that might have been the case. The original one lasted for 10 years, so a new one should last me pretty well.

cameron
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 18:33
Cheers Paul :doh:

I had to search all over the country to find one of the early Tracs / ABS Pumps :mad:

I found 2 which were priced @ £200 and £250.

I went on the American Ebay and got 2 for under £120 delivered one which is on my old early 95 plate T5 ( Pauls ) and one i sold to a gent from Germany for a handsome profit margin indeed. :D

If you can find one then change it, but seriously good luck trying to find a decently priced one in this country.

snoop69
Wednesday 1st April 2009, 20:00
Niles 850 was losing fluid & we found that the sensor on the side of
the master cylinder was leaking.

Tell tale signs was wet & tatty wire covering.

If you havent found the problem yet it may be worth a look.