PDA

View Full Version : clutch judder, on awd- Changing block?

Mental Wealth Doctor
Saturday 28th March 2009, 18:37
clutch is juddering on my awd, ive been told its eassier to take the engine out, than to fix than from underneath, cos of 4wd gear.thing is ive always been a bit dissapointed with the grunt from the 2.5 lpt, prefer the more revy feel of the t5 shorter stroke, just lookin for any advice on the matter of changing the block, realize i'd have to sort an ecu out and map. should i just opt for a v70r and change bits ive uprated from mine, hmmmm i dunno what to do help please, will a t16 and map give me the needed power without breaking tings,
advice please fellow volvo headz

888dee
Saturday 28th March 2009, 19:40
from what I've read the awd drive train probably won't take to kindly to the increased grunt long term....

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 28th March 2009, 20:32
Right mate, as I see it you've got the following options.

1) Keep the current engine and replace the clutch - easy option, but still the same power

2) Remap the LPT engine - supposed to be a great thing to do, but not many people have testified to this even though I've asked loads of times.

3) Stick a 16T on and get it remapped - more power, but 2.5 engine is 'weak' and access to the turbo is restricted

4) Fit a T5 engine (with 16T already on) and ecu - better tuning options plus you have the old engine as a backup in case things go tits up. Should be a straight swap except there is no rear engine mount on our engines (easy to remove I guess). But then you've got to find an engine.

All the above depends on funding and the availability of tools to do the job. I couldn't do it as I have no space and no garage and its my daily driver.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the drivetrain, there are plenty of people breaking AWDs these days, you could always pick up spares/backups at some point.

You've just got to take the plunge and get an engine.

HTH

Bomb

P.S. if you've got any Q's about doing the clutch, just give me a shout.

Mental Wealth Doctor
Saturday 28th March 2009, 22:10
nice one bomb, spose at least it'll be original, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290304571387 just seen this on ebay not too far from me, hmm
it's alot of work but seems to make sense, changing block if its gotta come out anyway.
what kinda money dew rekon for decent block and 16T?

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 28th March 2009, 22:23
I've seen some on ebay for £250 before now, but then there were also some at £600-£1000. Dunno how much Salvo would want for one.