PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Nuts

gibbo
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 20:52
Which LWN are the best to use?
I was in the local tyre shop and noticed 3 different sets all within a £5 of each other. Of course each manufacturer claimed theirs were the best but what are people using?????????

Cheers
Gibbo

Justin
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 21:04
Volvo origional Gibbo, and they are not that good tbh, i wouldnt bother mate, more hassle than they are worth.

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 21:09
avoid the ribbon type as soon as you put any pressure on them the locking ribbon on the key snaps, i've never had any trouble with the 3 pin one's

Andy
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 21:16
avoid the ribbon type as soon as you put any pressure on them the locking ribbon on the key snaps, i've never had any trouble with the 3 pin one's

Yeah totally agree the ribbon type are rubbish.

There is a new set of MCGARDS out now.... the head of the bolt spins in the wheel if an incorrect key is used or unauthorised activity(such as a hammer and chisel :lol:)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 23:39
Fatal floor in LWN is that everyone knows that the key is somewhere in the car!

nikgallagher
Thursday 19th May 2005, 09:10

That id true Dave, but it usually takes more than an opportunist though to break in to the car and search for it with the alarm going off. I reckon they are a must, especially round my way (and where I lived in Nottingham too). You peeps with imacculate 17's have a lot of money just sitting on the outside of your car. Would you leave a 600 sov radio bolted on the bonnet by 5 bolts? Not me.

Andy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 10:39
That id true Dave, but it usually takes more than an opportunist though to break in to the car and search for it with the alarm going off. I reckon they are a must, especially round my way (and where I lived in Nottingham too). You peeps with imacculate 17's have a lot of money just sitting on the outside of your car. Would you leave a 600 sov radio bolted on the bonnet by 5 bolts? Not me.

Exactly right mate!! totally agree, lockers are a must.

Anything that makes it harder for the nobbers to take stuff from the car is a bonus i think.

In my experience wheels have only been stolen as part of a plan by professional theives, unless as you say they are really oppourtunist and smash windows to quickly check glove boxes for keys.

Years ago it was a raging scheme until lockers were introduced and tilt alarms etc

Pro's dont need to even get in the car. To be honest if someone wants your wheels that bad, then they'll have em.

Its the ££££ world we live in today
:(

Andy

Martinr
Thursday 19th May 2005, 10:54
In a previous employment I ran the company fleet. This was in the days before space savers, steel spares, locking nuts etc.

We ran a Rover fleet and had lots of GTi Metros, 200's etc. Cars that had wheels that there was a ready market for second hand for boy racers with lower spec models.

What the bar stewards used to do was locate a likely target vehicle that was parked on the road or in a drive. On their first visit they would steal one wheel only, quite often a rear on the side that would be the most difficult for an observer to see.

This would mean the owner would then have to put the spare on and come and complain to me about it.

That night they would return and take the other four so they ended up with the full set.

Clever! We started purchasing locking nuts as an aftermarket extra and this spate of thefts stopped. In this case they were effective.

A good set of wheels and tyres is a valuable item and one worth investing £25 to £30 to protect.

Justin
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:01
Pro's dont need to even get in the car. To be honest if someone wants your wheels that bad, then they'll have em.

Its the ££££ world we live in today
:(

Andy
Exactly, so although it may make it slightly harder, if the want them they will get them no matter what you do. I had an Alpina BMW before my first T5, the gits couldnt get in it, and there was no way they could start it, or steal the wheels, so they dragged the whole car onto a low loader and took it away, took what they wanted, dumped it and burned it. To be fair i would sooner loose a set of wheels than the whole car....Just my take from experience lads ;)

mraldonnelly
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:07
Exactly, so although it may make it slightly harder, if the want them they will get them no matter what you do. I had an Alpina BMW before my first T5, the gits couldnt get in it, and there was no way they could start it, or steal the wheels, so they dragged the whole car onto a low loader and took it away, took what they wanted, dumped it and burned it. To be fair i would sooner loose a set of wheels than the whole car....Just my take from experience lads ;)

But there is a bright side to that story Justin.

You got rid of a beemer (albeit a special one) and got a T5 instead :lol:

Regards

Andy

Andy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:17
But there is a bright side to that story Justin.

You got rid of a beemer (albeit a special one) and got a T5 instead :lol:

Regards

Andy

:lol: how true ;)

Justin
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:24
Lol, very true, however the B3 3.0 would demo a stock T5......

:hidesbehi peepo

Mrsmopp
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:27

Wash your mouth out young man! :nutkick: LMSO

x

lance
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:35
I paid about £7 for my locking wheel nuts from salvo only got one key though!

Andy
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:36

dear god talking german language i.e. B3 is barred from this forum :lol: pull your tongue out and stamp on it ;)

Justin
Thursday 19th May 2005, 11:45
lol

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 19th May 2005, 16:14
mine aren't, i don't even carry a spare wheel, jack or wheel brace lol

nikgallagher
Friday 20th May 2005, 08:28
But you probably don't need to worry about punctures when you've got spray-on tyres like yours though!

Pedro Fandango
Friday 20th May 2005, 15:21
But you probably don't need to worry about punctures when you've got spray-on tyres like yours though!
lmoa quality

After_Shock
Friday 20th May 2005, 19:32
As mentioned locking nuts are a must! Mcguards seem to the best aswell, not hugely cheap but certainly worth it.

On the C70 when using the 19's I used two sets so each wheel had two different locks in it, the only time the locking keys were kept in the car was when was travelling a distance otherwise could just call home and get them brought out.